PDA

View Full Version : What to feed zoas and leathers?

hillbillyreefer
09-24-2007, 07:12 PM
What do I need for food if any for my Zoas and Leathers? 2 week old tank, they are all doing well as of now, multiplying and spreading to new locations. They seem to be doing very well. I'm going to add my CUC this week to deal with minor algae growth. CUC includes Blue hermits, Scarlett hermits, astrea margarita and cerith snails, and peppermint shrimp. Do they need any food or will the detritus in the tank be sufficient.

I assume that since everything is doing well and multiplying that no food is needed, yet.

Thanks
Brad

fragalot
09-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Live Phyto would be a good choice

justinl
09-25-2007, 09:22 PM
there's been debate as to whether or not phyto is useful at all to some coral. I dont personally think it would be much use to zoos or leathers. Some people feed their zoos small stuff (larger than phyto) like cyclopeeze. The zoos with shorter skirts seem to take less towards cycloppeze and such though. and of course another option is live newly hatched brine shrimp... live is never a bad idea really.

that said, why feed? I mean, like you said, you corals are happy healthy and multiplying, so why mess with sometyhing that is working?

andresont
09-25-2007, 09:40 PM
that said, why feed? I mean, like you said, you corals are happy healthy and multiplying, so why mess with sometyhing that is working?

I second that opinion.

However when i feed Reef Roids (very small particle) mine seem to open better, but i feed all sorts of food other then that too. like Fauna Marine for clams, Ultramin S (amino acids), Bacterial food and Coral Frenzy.

So its hard to say what likes what food. I'd say reef roids is on top of this list.

digital-audiophile
09-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I give my zoos a blast of reef roids once a week.

bv_reefer
09-26-2007, 01:15 AM
my leathers extend there polyps quite quickly for phyto, but i'm considering to start using oyster eggs, as there so small in size, anyone try these?