PDA

View Full Version : Which aquarium manufacturer for drilling???

Buddyboy
09-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if the glass on a Seastar tank is thicker than the glass on an All-Glass tank?

I want to drill a 50G breeder shortly but i'm not sure which tank would be beefier.

Does anyone have any experience with Seastar tanks?

Thanks for your help! :)

Greg

fkshiu
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
You can drill either brand safely as long as it's NON-tempered glass.

I don't believe Seastar uses tempered and AGA only uses tempered bottoms for the non-reef-ready tanks (with a sticker indicating so).

As far as "beefiness" is concerned, all Seastars that I've come across are built like tanks with their big glass cross-braces and tend to have thicker beads on silicone than AGA. However, I do find the finishing and detail work on Seastars not as "clean" as with the big manufacturers.

The nice thing about Seastar being local is that you can get a custom tank ordered up through King Ed's or OA, for example, in a couple weeks. They also can pre-drill holes for you or even construct overflow boxes. Euro-bracing, bevelled edges and Starphire are all options as well.

Buddyboy
09-25-2007, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the post fkshiu!

The Seastars do look "beefier" to me but I hate the large glass center brace. I would imagine it is a pain to keep clean (ie salt creep, etc)? So I guess i'm just curious if the glass is thicker on the Seastars then the All-Glass tanks?

Also, do you think I could get away with drilling two holes on the back glass pane on one of these tanks? Or would it be too risky?