PDA

View Full Version : Which light system to use?

sharuq1
09-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I have been tossing around the idea of turning my 33g salt, but I haven't got the lighting for what I want. If I do go the distance I want to be able to put in pretty much any coral I want, so I don't want to do this wrong and have to spend more money to fix it later.

Does anyone know of a good lighting system that comes complete (ie. I don't have to put it together)?
Like for eg. 2 actinincs and a halide, or a bar full of t5's with individual reflectors and a good ballast??

I am kinda leaning towards HO or VHO t5's but I don't know what is out there. Search is giving me major information overload--I want to know what works, not just what I can buy.

Throw me some links, ideas or tell me what you would do.

Albert, if you guys sell lighting please post it. Pics/links and prices would be awesome

Thx ppl!!!

Chowder
09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Try sunlightsupply.com. The tek5 units are pretty good . There are also a few cheaper units. If you do go with T5's make sure that each bulb has a seperate reflector compared to one with a single reflector for all the bulbs.
Alot of people out there are using them with all corals. The other option would be to go with metal halide probably a 250 W unit. This will definetly give you enough light to keep anything. The only issue is it will create more heat then T5's. I believe coralife makes a 24 inch unit with power compacts and a 250W halide. There are also numerous others like hamilton technologies and geismann that make simular units. oceanaquatics.com/jlaquatics.com are a few web stores that have a great selection of fixtures and also can deliver them to you. The best thing you can do is look at multiple web sites and see what they say about the different units you are interested in. Hope this helps...

albert_dao
09-23-2007, 08:06 PM
What's your budget, roughly?

sharuq1
09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Preferably under four hundred, depending on how long it will last/quality etc.

Right now just in the looking stage--I need to know what is out there before I can really start saying saying hey I like this particular thing.

albert_dao
09-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I will send you a PM around Tuesday or so. New product list in the aftermath of MACNA.

sharuq1
09-25-2007, 01:12 AM
What are your opinions on this light?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7742212145&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us
TEK LIGHT T5 HO 3ft / 6 LAMP

albert_dao
09-25-2007, 02:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7742212145&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us

Good price on a decent unit. Tek's are good. I prefer higher-end units though. You get things like splash gaurds and active cooling with the more advanced stuff.

sharuq1
09-25-2007, 02:24 AM
And what might those units be? Share :wink:

jasond
09-25-2007, 04:06 AM
I am currently looking for new lights as well....so many options it's hard to know where to start. I know Albert likes the Aquactinics, he showed me one in his store...nice lights without a doubt. I like them mainly because they have the splash guard, cooling fans, and are pretty slick looking lights. From the few reviews I have found (Reefcentral etc), the people that use them like them.

Anyways that's my 2 cents...

Jason

Quagmire
09-25-2007, 04:40 AM

Did you notice that unit doesn't come with the bulbs?

sharuq1
09-29-2007, 02:24 AM
What about a 36" Aquactinics TX5?