PDA

View Full Version : Black ghost knife fish?

saltwatermaniac
09-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Hey guys I was at the lfs and I seen i black ghost knife for sale and I was thinking of getting it for my 55g it would be in with Juv frontosas but they are going to be in a 120g in a couple months any ways what do you guys think would it work out the bgkf is about 4"?

theredben
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
My local LFS has some ghost knife's in stock so I asked some questions about them. It turns out they grow to 1-1.5 feet long so they need a lot of room. The LFS was saying that they once took a ghost knife for credit that was kept in too small of a tank and it's spine was crooked from the cramping.

Dale
09-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Hi SWM,
The black ghost will be fine for a couple of months with those other guys as long as you give it (the ghost) a tube to hide in. They are the smaller of the knifes (unlike the 3' clownknifes) but will still try to eat anthing that fits in their mouth. Like elephantnose fish they use an electrical impulse organ to seek out food in the wild.

saltwatermaniac
09-24-2007, 04:19 AM
They say it reaches a lenght of around 12" and that they only dangers are things like neons and fish the around same size as neons is that true? Thanks for the info!

Kronk
09-24-2007, 04:51 AM
They are extremely slow growers,it takes years to get over 1ft. Like any fish if it fits in the mouth it will probably be food. They really aren't aggressive to anything there own size. If you get a pair of them they are awesome to watch.

saltwatermaniac
09-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Thats actuallywhat i was thinking of doing is getting a couple of them so that it would look better and that it would not seem so lonely!