PDA

View Full Version : flow

bv_reefer
09-23-2007, 05:52 AM
all i had in my 33-gallon for flow was a maxi-jet 900, and now i threw in a koralia-3 (850-gph) and my flow went up tremendously, it'll be 1/2 soft and 1/2 sps so flow is definitely needed, but i don't want it to bother th soft corals, for example my xenia isn't looking so good, but my kenya tree colony, finger leather colony&frag, monti cap frag and pagoda cup coral are doing same as usual, so too much flow or what? also does this meen no for alot of lps?

marie
09-23-2007, 06:01 AM
all i had in my 33-gallon for flow was a maxi-jet 900, and now i threw in a koralia-3 (850-gph) and my flow went up tremendously, it'll be 1/2 soft and 1/2 sps so flow is definitely needed, but i don't want it to bother th soft corals, for example my xenia isn't looking so good, but my kenya tree colony, finger leather colony&frag, monti cap frag and pagoda cup coral are doing same as usual, so too much flow or what? also does this meen no for alot of lps?
I have a tunze 6060 stream (1600gph) in my 48g zoa/shroom tank, I also had an open brain, blastos and a clam in there that tolerated the flow no problem.

bv_reefer
09-23-2007, 06:24 AM
oh ok thats good, i guess i'll grab that open brain i wanted, but while we're on the topic, what in the world is happening to my xenia?! he yesterday he was nice and healthy, polyps fully extended, and bright, now he's dark, polyps all dying and dangling, and his stem shrunk to 1/2 it's original width, isn't this the same coral that loves as much flow as possible?? i'm stumped

hillbillyreefer
09-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Check your water. On Melev's reef, he says that they are a good indicator of water conditions. Something is out of wack if the xenia droop and look mangled. Could be the fow too not sure, I added a koralia 3 to my 24 gal the other day, things didn't like it at first but came around in a day or two.

Brad

michika
09-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Is the xenia directly in the flow?

I agree with hillbillyreefer, check your parameters.

bv_reefer
09-23-2007, 05:46 PM
well the koralia3 is in the right corner, and i pointed the koralia to the back of the tank a pinch too kill part of the flow but it's still blasting flow everywhere and i'm happy and all the other corals as well, i checked on the xenia just recently and he looks better he's still darker than usual around the stem and his polyps are still way darker than usual but there fully extended not dangling so thats somewhat reassuring, as for his position he's on a 45 degree angle with the koralia and about 14'' away. the kenya trees getting used to it so far as with everyone else.

bv_reefer
09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Water parameters:
-pH: 8.4(as usual)
-ammonia: 0
-nitrite: 0.1(same as before)
-nitrate: undetectable
-calcium: 440
-magnesium: ?? but i dose strontium,molybdenum,iodine,and calcium

-sorry for the delay, took me a while to get it all sorted out..