PDA

View Full Version : cup coral shedding?

bv_reefer
09-21-2007, 04:18 AM
hi i just got a nice healthy green cup coral, lps, and today i came home to see him shedding some white slimy stuff, i've heard that this is a very common
occurance in toadstool, but never read about cup corals experiencing this? it's coming from underneath him from his stem, not from the actual top, which is somewhat of a relief but it's starting to worry me, as it comes back every couple hours...anyone?

michika
09-21-2007, 01:37 PM
It sounds like slime, its a natural defense mechanism. Caps slime a lot. Any photos?

bv_reefer
09-21-2007, 06:35 PM
oo sorry no pics so far but speaking of defense mechanism does that mean he's having a chemical war with a nearby coral, if this helps the corals in his proximity are a green monti cap frag, kenya tree colony, xenia, finger leather colony, and finger leather frag, i noticed the same slime on my monti cap frag the same day, i don't know if thats from the cup coral or from the monti frag itself. today he's better not producing slime anymore.

michika
09-21-2007, 06:37 PM
The coral may be engaging in chemical warfare. Can any of the other corals expand and touch it?

bv_reefer
09-21-2007, 06:40 PM
no there is a monti on a ledge 4'' above him but can't touch him, and theres a condy anemone 6'' away, but even when he's fully expanded he can't touch him at all