PDA

View Full Version : Restricting water pressure to RO unit

Cyntax
01-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Hello,

Just finished installing my Kent maxxima RO/DI unit. I have a pressure gauge on the input line and when I turn the water on full it reads about 100psi. The manual for the unit says it should be 65psi.

I went to Home depot to look for a regulator but they only have these giant things for 1.5" pipe. Seems alittle bit extreme for what I wanted it for.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Any idea's where I could get a pressure regulator that will fit 1/4" plastic pipe?

Thanks!

canadawest
01-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Not sure how you got such a high input pressure here in Vancouver, but consider yourself VERY lucky. Most people are looking for ways to BOOST thier input pressure to around 100psi, not regulate it down.

My unit runs at 45-50psi which is all I get out of my water lines. I don't recall exactly, but the RO membranes are rated for up to 120psi I believe, so if you are under that you wont have any problems at all.

The benefit of having a higher than average input pressure is that you get higher than average output from your RO/DI unit. For example if it is a 60GPD unit, you might get 70-75GPD from it due to the higher pressure because the 60GPD rating is under optimal (average) conditions (pressure, temperature, input TDS).

Perhaps Maryanne will elaborate, but I'm pretty sure that you're better than OK with 100psi input pressure.

Cyntax
01-09-2003, 03:39 AM
Ok :) Thanks for the reply. I was worried about wrecking the RO membrane with the extra pressure.

I live on the first floor of an apartment building. I think maybe they bump up the pressure to get it to all the floors above? Not sure....but i'm not complaining too much :)