PDA

View Full Version : Online Stores/Vancouver Stores that Sell Live Rock

Puff
09-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Are there any stores that sell live rock online? i live in vancouver and im not sure if there is a lot of really nice live rock around. ive seen a lot of ppl in the US have received some REALLY nice live rock from online stores, but i know (or think i know) that live rock cannot be shipped up here to canada.

does anyone know of any online CANADIAN retailers that sell good live rock? or maybe even a good store around the vancouver area that has very nice live rock?

saltynuts
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
try jls they have good stuff

Melina
09-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I recently got some beautiful rock from Hidden Reef.

Jason McK
09-20-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty sure all the stores in the Lower mainland can get LR.

Most times you can order it by the box and get it as it comes in.

If your looking to hand pick pieces it is very hard to find LR in stock in large Quantaties.

J

Static
09-20-2007, 12:21 AM
I've checked Hidden Reef, JL and Ocean aquatics. There seems to be a bit of lack of live rock for the past few weeks. Hopefully some shipments will come in soon.

Sorry, can't help you on the online vendors, I'm just gonna wait and hope some good orders start coming in.

Jason McK
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Like i posted above it is rare a LFS stocks LR if you want some it's best to order it.

Puff
09-20-2007, 03:12 AM
so hidden reef and JL seem to get the best Live rock?

if so ill just do as you guys said and order from one of them.

are they both pretty comparable? or are both stores pretty even LR quality wise?

Rippin
09-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Honestly, in the city, the best CURED live rock that I've found on a consistent basis is King Ed's Pet Store. Good coraline, small critters, no pest algae. But be prepared to pay! It's $9.00 a pound. They carry both Fiji and Jakarta.

If you can hold out, wait for a fellow reefer tearing down or changing his/her system. They usually sell between $3-$4 a pound and it's almost guaranteed to have way more living organisms on it than any cured rock you could buy from a store.

Puff
09-21-2007, 08:50 AM
If you can hold out, wait for a fellow reefer tearing down or changing his/her system. They usually sell between $3-$4 a pound and it's almost guaranteed to have way more living organisms on it than any cured rock you could buy from a store.

that's what im hoping for. what i think ill do is set up the tank and mod it the way i want, then leave it empty...im in no rush, so hopefully a good deal happens upon me. when and if that deal arises, i will jump on it, instead of rushing everything and ending up with subpar live rock.

king ed's, although im not a fan of a lot of their livestock, DO seem to have some very nice saltwater critters, fish, and live rock.

is it a good idea to buy all your LR at the same place at the same time? or if you see a really nice piece, but dont want to pay 9$ a pound, could you always just get a coupe of pieces that tickle your fancy?

Rippin
09-21-2007, 10:05 AM
is it a good idea to buy all your LR at the same place at the same time? or if you see a really nice piece, but dont want to pay 9$ a pound, could you always just get a coupe of pieces that tickle your fancy?

Buy only the pieces you like and slowly build your live rock selection. It could be problematic if you're adding uncured live rock to an aquarium with established live rock - the cycling may begin again (depending on how much uncured rock you're adding at one time).

If you are buying cured live rock make sure you make a fresh batch of saltwater and put it in a bucket to take with you to the store/reefer selling live rock. Although cured live rock will stay "alive" when out of water for short periods of time, there will inevitably be some die-off. Bringing your own bucket of saltwater will minimize any die-off.

Rippin
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh, and one more thing - get porous rock. More surface area and better flow-through.

DanG
09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Honestly, in the city, the best CURED live rock that I've found on a consistent basis is King Ed's Pet Store. Good coraline, small critters, no pest algae. But be prepared to pay! It's $9.00 a pound. They carry both Fiji and Jakarta.

Just be happy you live on or near the coast, that's the going rate for live rock here in winnipeg from the LFS.

Rippin
09-21-2007, 11:56 PM
im in no rush, so hopefully a good deal happens upon me. when and if that deal arises, i will jump on it, instead of rushing everything and ending up with subpar live rock.

And there ya go...
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35513

bv_reefer
09-22-2007, 07:25 PM
ya king ed pet has pretty nice live rock, right now there a little low on fiji, but have a bunch of jarkarta, i waz just there yesterday, and waz pretty impressed