PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any sand available still

Seriak
01-08-2003, 08:21 PM
I am setting up a couple of small refugiums and I am looking for some sand. Anyone?

Bob I
01-08-2003, 09:04 PM
In my latest venture the substrate is #6 glass beads. So far I am impressed. The stuff does not need washing, has no sharp corners, is white, is made of glass, so it is inert, and not very expensive. I think $20.00 for a 20kg bag.

Canadian Man
01-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Where did you get the stuff from Bob?

Bob I
01-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Where did you get the stuff from Bob?

Actually Ross brought it over. It is made by Manus abrasive systems.

rossb
01-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Jonathan I got it from Manus sand blasting supplies and it is $20 buck for 20KG and comes in sizes 1-13 grit. When mixed with some aragonite you can't tell he difference.

It is located off Barlow trail and Glenmore Tr SE...damn near next door to you (compated to me)

Seriak
01-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Are you serious? Galss beads for a substrate. Now I have heard it all!

Canadian Man
01-09-2003, 09:38 PM

I plan on using aprox 60% of this stuff and 40% arragonite when I set up my big tank. Save some money when you dont need aragonite.

Bob I
01-09-2003, 10:02 PM

You know the old saying. "Never argue with success"

AJ_77
01-10-2003, 01:16 AM
Best sandbed yet... :) Don't know for sure if it has the glass beads, now that I rethink it... (Pool filter sand mixed with aragonite, I believe? Gonna have to ask Bob.)
Check the link below for pics.
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/AJ_77/33gal/index.html

MitchM
01-12-2003, 02:27 PM
:shock:
Has anyone looked into the long term effects of using glass beads in the substrate?
It seems to me that the dynamics of a properly living/operating/dissolving sandbed would be kind of important to a successful reef tank.
Even if you could initially ensure that the mixture was even to start with, once the sandbed establishes itself, you're going to be rid of the aragonite unevenly in some areas, then all you'll be left with is glass beads and accumulating detritus. No better than a cc bed. At least a cc bed eventually WILL dissolve :?

Be careful, guys.

Mitch

rossb
01-12-2003, 03:26 PM
When I was seting up my tank I found this thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/archive/40/2002/01/3/56925

It is one of the threads that aided in my choice of sand bed. I also think you need to have about 1/3 aragonite.

Bob I
01-12-2003, 05:08 PM
I just want to post this as a comment. It is just something interesting that happened when I scooped out some of the substrate in my tank, and replaced it with glass beads.
http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/sand.jpg
It might be Diatoms, or Cyano, but I lean toward Diatoms. Remember this is totally inert glass beads. I would stir it up, but as you might notice the Fighting Conch likes it.

Delphinus
01-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Sure looks like diatoms to me, too. IMHO/FWIW of course...

MitchM
01-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Not related to the diatom thing, (and not a criticism, just an observation) but I can see one difference already....light is penetrating into deeper depths of the sandbed than it would with aragonite.

Mitch

Bob I
01-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Not related to the diatom thing, (and not a criticism, just an observation) but I can see one difference already....light is penetrating into deeper depths of the sandbed than it would with aragonite.

Mitch

Sitting right in front, I am not sure. The problem being that outside light is affecting it. However, it does stand to reason, because the stuff is translucent. Under 20x magnification it just looks like beads if glass. I don't really know if I personally would like it by itself. In my 20 the bottom inch is Aragonite, and pool filter sand. The tank in the picture just has two small pockets of it. :wink:

StirCrazy
01-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Bob, have you tried mixing it up? I know you can;t now but I wonder if they different types would stay mixed..

Steve

Bob I
01-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Bob, have you tried mixing it up? I know you can;t now but I wonder if they different types would stay mixed..

Steve

No problem Steve. In the interest of good scientific methodology, I will mix the part that has no diatoms. I don't want to steal the Conch's food after all. :D

Actually I just did that. I see no reason why it would not stay mixed.

Tau2301
01-13-2003, 03:38 AM
I have a layer of Oolite and crushed coral along with large coral pieces over my glass shot peen.

The Oolite was live sand, the crushed coral was put there to prevent any wash from my powerheads, and the coral pieces were added to give the pods some place to hide.

A proper mixture of shot peen will supply a silt like texture that is required in a DSB - as prescribed by Dr. Ron.

MitchM
01-13-2003, 03:43 AM
I see no reason why it would not stay mixed.

I don't think it will stay mixed because the aragonite will eventually dissolve. The glass beads won't.

Mitch

Bob I
01-13-2003, 08:52 PM
I see no reason why it would not stay mixed.

I don't think it will stay mixed because the aragonite will eventually dissolve. The glass beads won't.

Mitch

Possibly a good point :wink: , but I use local water, and do not expect to live another 100 years or so waiting for it to dissolve. To temper that remark, I have had an Aragonite sandbed for the past three years, and it is the same depth it was when I put it in. :D :D