PDA

View Full Version : 20k halides

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 04:00 AM
just a quick question, my two halide bulbs are both 20k's but aren't blue.
for example when they're heating up in the first minute there really a deep blue tone, but when they stabilize after a minute or two they become a typical whiter color, not a yellower tint persay such as 6k's, but just not as blue as one would expect from 20k's, any ideas? ballasts reflectors maybe? the reflectors shouldn't be a factor there good quality polished aluminum, it's a pendant fixture, two reflectors

Jason McK
09-19-2007, 04:30 AM
Ballast are always more important than the bulbs. What ballast are you useing.

Also your eyes play tricks on you. your eyes always want to tell your brain what is white.

J

P.S does J&L know you took one of their pics off there website :)

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 04:55 AM
ok heres the info i could get off the front, the sticker says VS at the top, and there made in japan, and on the bottom it says vassloh schwabe inc. also the ballasts are a light grey aluminum housing, thanx again

NateL
09-19-2007, 06:17 AM
If that is the "fixture" from me then it would be the bulbs, they are 20k but cheapies. Those were $20 ebay bulbs from reefshops.

Stones
09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I know that ballasts will also make a huge difference. I run 20K single ended bulbs on a HQI ballast meant for double ended bulbs. The SE bulbs run a little hotter on the HQI ballast than would the intended DE bulbs and in turn, the colour gets shifted down by a few K. My 20K's look to me more like a 13-14K bulb.

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 10:52 PM
ya thats a good way too describe them, kind of close to 14k, next ones are double ended 14k hamiltons. on the other hand my corals are doing great under them, great color and growth so no complaints, just was kinda going for a nice blue hue, thanx again for the quick replys guys

KrazyKuch
09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
what brand of of and how old are they??