PDA

View Full Version : Cyano baffles me

digital-audiophile
09-18-2007, 09:00 PM
How can my main tank be Cyano free but my sump be filled with red slime.

I don't know if I will ever understand this hobby.

Der_Iron_Chef
09-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Lower flow rates? Baffling, indeed (I was going to try to make some sump baffles/baffling joke, but abandoned it).

digital-audiophile
09-18-2007, 09:38 PM
lol, it occured to me after that someone would make a baffle pun :p

I do even have a little powerhead in my sump that I added after I had to put my ocerallis clowns in the sump to be saved from the torture my tomato clowns were subjecting them to.

I'm thinking I'll just hit the sump with a little chemiclean to help out.

bv_reefer
09-18-2007, 11:58 PM
blue vet red slime remover ripped all my cyano out in 24 hours, and left nothing, good thing i got it out it was getting closer and closer to my finger leather colony each day!

i have crabs
09-19-2007, 12:11 AM
its very easy to understand
this week the fish god has decided to annoy you with something that compleatly wastes your time and if you foil his plans by getting rid of the cyano he will kill your zoos or make a fish jump out of your tank.

michika
09-19-2007, 12:30 AM
I've got cyano in my overflow, but no where else. Its a flow thing for me. Doesn't sound like that is the case for you. Is it possible that the place where the cyano is growing isn't being hit by your power head?

I'm still waiting on a baffling joke, or pun! Its like the door is open, but nobody is stepping through.

digital-audiophile
09-19-2007, 01:08 AM
its very easy to understand
this week the fish god has decided to annoy you with something that compleatly wastes your time and if you foil his plans by getting rid of the cyano he will kill your zoos or make a fish jump out of your tank.

LOL!! Isn't that the truth!

I've got cyano in my overflow, but no where else. Its a flow thing for me. Doesn't sound like that is the case for you. Is it possible that the place where the cyano is growing isn't being hit by your power head?

My sump is pretty full of rock, I might add another little powerhead for more flow, allthough as a trade off it will kick all the detriuos off the rocks and get sucked into the main tank.

We just can't win eh?

Delphinus
09-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Is your sump lit?

digital-audiophile
09-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I have a coralife striplight on it with daylight bulbs to grow my macro. I am currently running the lightig on an opposite cycle to my display tank as awell.

EmilyB
09-20-2007, 06:00 AM
It baffles me.

Delphinus
09-20-2007, 06:03 AM
I'm thinking the lights might be a factor? Back in the day when I ran NO actinics, I could always tell when they hit 6 months old because suddenly there'd be cyano in the tank. I'd replace the lights and it'd be gone in a matter of days.

How old are the lamps?

Could just be it just got a toehold in the sump and the light just happens to sustain it. What about shutting off the light for a day or two, is that an option?

digital-audiophile
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I might try turning off the lights for a couple days, the only thing growing in there is chaeto and it can do without light for a few days.

The bulbs in this strip are over a year old. Maybe I need to change them :)

Thanks Tony, you are full of great advice.

Delphinus
09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Just occured to me that when I said "NO actinics" - it's looks like I said "no actinics" but what I meant was "normal output actinics". Ooops. From now on I'll use periods in that particular acronym. :redface:

Anyhow, if the lights are over a year, that might explain the difference. But, if you're just growing chaeto and the lights are growing the chaeto OK and if the cyano isn't anywhere else, I'm not sure I'd jump on replacing the lights, unless I wanted to do so anyhow. :)

danny zubot
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
I've got cyano in my overflow, but no where else.

You are lucky then Catherine. You can zap cyano with boiling water to kill it the same way you would with aptasia.