PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the small starfish?

mark
09-18-2007, 04:31 AM
I run a filter sock over the drains where they enter the bubble tower in the sump. Problem is, when I change the sock out, I can find 20+ of the small brittle starfish inside. As they are all still alive, been picking them off then placing in the either the main part of the sump or back to the tank but it's getting to be a hassle.

Don't want to kill anything but really thinking about rising them down the drain with the rest of the crud. Wondering what do others do?

Delphinus
09-18-2007, 04:49 AM
I pick them out and toss them back in the tank, all the while swearing at myself for doing so. I pick out the worms and whatever pods I can too. I draw the line at feeling bad when I swat mosquitoes though.

whatcaneyedo
09-20-2007, 03:08 AM
I used to pick them out a lot but I find that if I just let the sock plug up so much that it overflows and let it overflow for a day or two most of the little brittle stars and pods find their own way out of the sock. This has cut back the amount of stars from 10+ in the past to maybe 2 now each time I change the sock.

vanreefer
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
If nothing else it's fun to watch them surf the current when you throw 'em back in the display :wink: