PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if I wreaked my bulb?

mark
09-18-2007, 04:17 AM
If you turn a MH bulb off them back on after a minute, does it hurt the bulb (250W 14k Hamilton)?

For some reason the timer for the MHs and fan didn't turn off this evening. I turned off the ballast, unplugged the timer, plugged it back in, reprogrammed (timer should have been off) seemed fan wasn't on so turned the ballast on. Go upstairs (tank upstairs, timer, ballast and fan downstairs) and find one of the two MHs on.

Looks like the timers toast and though will find out tomorrow, wondering now if I lost the bulb.

michika
09-18-2007, 04:39 AM
No, it shouldn't hurt the bulb.

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 05:49 AM
hamilton bulbs are pretty decent right? i'm eyeing some nice 14k's at ocean aquatics..

mark
09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Seem okay for me, crisp white, no yellow and wouldn't say too blue either.

The problem from the other night aside (and the bulb still works), in the ~ year and half I've been running MHs, I have had 2 of the Hamilton bulbs burn out within about 6 months of being installed. Not sure if this is typical compared to other manufacturers, might be worth a separate post for bulb reliability/life.

michika
09-19-2007, 02:50 PM
In my experience most bulbs are ment to last at least a year. I've had one burn out before the 3 month mark, and it was exchanged as we concluded it was faulty.

I would probably speak to whomever you purchased the bulb from if they are burning out so quickly.

Jason McK
09-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I blew a Ushio by bumbing the switch so it cycled in about 1 second.
but leaving it off for a minute shouldn't hurt it

J

mark
09-19-2007, 03:31 PM
In my experience most bulbs are ment to last at least a year. I've had one burn out before the 3 month mark, and it was exchanged as we concluded it was faulty.

I would probably speak to whomever you purchased the bulb from if they are burning out so quickly.

Went right to Hamilton, told something like though not common, burning out after 6 months not necessarily considered a premature failure.

But if I loose another one after 6 months I'll be changing to a different company.