PDA

View Full Version : how long to wait b4 fish?

Finaddict
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Just wondering how long I should wait to add fish..

added 2/3 water from a cycled tank. 46lbs cycled rock, new sand mixed with 3cups live sand.
has 2 snails.
do i just check for an ammonia spike. or is it be cyclyed already?

tank is a 26g seamless bowfront.

was going to be a fututre home for a fuzzy lion or a fu manchu lion but from research they are hard to get to eat frozen foods...so

Jason McK
09-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Basically you should treat it like a new tank. the Amonia spike should be minimal but I would monitor to ensure all is good. Odds are you will also expirence the nornal aglae blooms as well.

J

bv_reefer
09-18-2007, 03:18 AM
supposedly in a smaller tank ammonia spikes are minimal to undetectable, which was true for me, for the first month and a half my nitrate was undetectable, however my nitrites were through the roof, and then followed as jason mentioned the hair algae and cyano, which i got rid of with water changes and red slime remover, but eventually the hair algae went down and now stopped all together with only a few tiny patches left, however for some reason my nitrites are still a little high, good luck with the tank :smile:

justinl
09-18-2007, 07:36 AM
bv_reefer, seriously i think that, for everyone's sake, you really ought to just stop posting for a while. read other people's posts and figure out what is and isnt correct. please.

oh and to clear things up, if anything, ammonia spikes and nitrate rises... basically any chemical swings... will be more severe in tanks with less volume. think of the volume as a sort of buffer... it will take more time to contaminate/change to a significant level than it would in a larger tank.

fin, i assume you are just starting out? if so then i suggest you reconsider your stocking choices. Fu manchu lions are suited only for the most experienced at getting finicky fish to eat... they do not do well in captivity. fuzzies are a bit more forgiving but i still wouldnt suggest them to a beginner unless you are able to find a healthy one that is already trained to eat frozen food.

my advice would be to just let the tank sit fishless for a week or two... just to let things settle out. other than that, the already cured rock should be able to handle a single fish by then... only add single fish at a time though, especially in such a small tank. oh and fyi, when a tank cycles and matures, it refers to the rock and sand which has bacteria living on it to deal with ammonia. whether the water is newly mixed or aged in a tank, has nothing to do with cycling... if anything, it's worse since it will have the old tank's waste in it... i do hope you didnt BUY that.

Finaddict
09-18-2007, 02:51 PM
thanks, I am not new, I have a 90g reef for a few years.

I added sand from my reef to help the sand become live.

I will wait a few weeks. And do not not want to feed live food. so fuman chu is out!

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 12:03 AM
bv_reefer, seriously i think that, for everyone's sake, you really ought to just stop posting for a while. read other people's posts and figure out what is and isnt correct. please.

oh and to clear things up, if anything, ammonia spikes and nitrate rises... basically any chemical swings... will be more severe in tanks with less volume. think of the volume as a sort of buffer... it will take more time to contaminate/change to a significant level than it would in a larger tank.

fin, i assume you are just starting out? if so then i suggest you reconsider your stocking choices. Fu manchu lions are suited only for the most experienced at getting finicky fish to eat... they do not do well in captivity. fuzzies are a bit more forgiving but i still wouldnt suggest them to a beginner unless you are able to find a healthy one that is already trained to eat frozen food.

my advice would be to just let the tank sit fishless for a week or two... just to let things settle out. other than that, the already cured rock should be able to handle a single fish by then... only add single fish at a time though, especially in such a small tank. oh and fyi, when a tank cycles and matures, it refers to the rock and sand which has bacteria living on it to deal with ammonia. whether the water is newly mixed or aged in a tank, has nothing to do with cycling... if anything, it's worse since it will have the old tank's waste in it... i do hope you didnt BUY that. -cool....don't care...

Static
09-19-2007, 01:27 AM
supposedly in a smaller tank ammonia spikes are minimal to undetectable:smile:

Can either of you two possibly find one other person on the whole internet who will confirm this statement for me?

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 01:33 AM
don't know, never searched the whole internet, i heard it from someone on canreef though..

scsi
09-19-2007, 03:21 AM
This thread is going to start turning into one of those "threads"
Think we need some moderation here
lol
priceless

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 03:24 AM
lmfao...yeupp...gotta love those ''threads'':lol:

justinl
09-19-2007, 05:03 AM
WOW you are some cool guy now. I dont mean anything bad but you just made your self sound like some ______ that knows everything. The guys just putting his oppinion/experiance out ther dosent nesseserly mean anything. Or dose it to some people? hmmm I wonder who

that's just the problem though. some people WILL listen to the personal experiences of single individuals. if bv found smaller swings in his own tank, fine, but that doesnt make it a rule of thumb. let alone something one should be posting as advice. i backed up my own particular claim with reasoning. unless you have something solid to refute it, i dont see why this thread should progress any further into the realm of "those threads."

Im putting my frank honest opinion out there. if you dont like it, fine. i wont apologize. nor do i mean to belittle anyone. and i dont claim to know everything. far from it, im a self confessed noob. i know that. however, if someone is going to offer up advice based on nearly nothing at all (not research at the least), im going to call it out. not because i can or because it makes me feel more important, but because other people looking for advice are reading this and i feel that the correct information should be given, especially on such basic aquarium related concepts.

fin: have you thought about what you would like to replace the fu man chu with as far as stocking goes? i bring it up because fuzzies arent the most common of all fish and finding a pre-weaned one can be... difficult. if you are forced to wean one yourself (and i agree that this is something to be avoided if at all possible) you will want the lion to be the only fish in the tank. tank mates will only complicate the process.

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 05:14 AM
ok but understand that theres not one strand of advice in that thread, just what happened in my tank, didn't mention absolutely nothing for him to do, which you'll quickly notice by reading through it thoroughly with that in mind i hope you understand what i'm trying to get at :wink:

Mik_101
09-19-2007, 05:17 AM
that's just the problem though. some people WILL listen to the personal experiences of single individuals. if bv found smaller swings in his own tank, fine, but that doesnt make it a rule of thumb. let alone something one should be posting as advice. i backed up my own particular claim with reasoning. unless you have something solid to refute it, i dont see why this thread should progress any further into the realm of "those threads."

Im putting my frank honest opinion out there. if you dont like it, fine. i wont apologize. nor do i mean to belittle anyone. and i dont claim to know everything. far from it, im a self confessed noob. i know that. however, if someone is going to offer up advice based on nearly nothing at all (not research at the least), im going to call it out. not because i can or because it makes me feel more important, but because other people looking for advice are reading this and i feel that the correct information should be given, especially on such basic aquarium related concepts.

fin: have you thought about what you would like to replace the fu man chu with as far as stocking goes? i bring it up because fuzzies arent the most common of all fish and finding a pre-weaned one can be... difficult. if you are forced to wean one yourself (and i agree that this is something to be avoided if at all possible) you will want the lion to be the only fish in the tank. tank mates will only complicate the process.

To make you happy and everyone else il delete my post.

justinl
09-19-2007, 05:23 AM
supposedly in a smaller tank ammonia spikes are minimal to undetectable

when i saw that i took it as a presentation of advice. and I havent yet met anyone who has told me the same. i dont really have a strict definition for advice btw. but perhaps it was just a misunderstanding.

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 05:26 AM
well thats true, i thought that would be be more representative of an observation, but nevertheless a misunderstanding

Jason McK
09-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Poor fin,
Had a legit question and look what has happened

J

bv_reefer
09-19-2007, 06:51 AM
hey jason, i'm guessing you go to ocean aquatics, did they get any new shipments on soft and sps corals lately? i'm thinkin' of going to get an sps colony pretty soon

Jason McK
09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Again this is Fin's thread, lets stick to the topic

J