PDA

View Full Version : Sump/fuge design

mseepman
09-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Hello everyone,

I've finally got all the parts for the sump that I've been planning. I have an idea in my mind on how I want it to go but I would appreciate any input that people could provide me on my design. The sump is an AGA 20gal. 24"Wx12"Dx16"H

Let me know what you think of the attached design.

Redrover
09-17-2007, 12:23 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0017.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/P1000246-2.jpg

Sump with integrated Refugium...supply line is front from left to right
...return back of refugiun to sump:drinking:

mseepman
09-17-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean Redrover?

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/DSCN0017.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Redrover_02/P1000246-2.jpg

Sump with integrated Refugium...supply line is front from left to right
...return back of refugiun to sump:drinking:

Redrover
09-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Small 1" leading to refuge is the supply line...in the second pic at the back of refugium, fingers are cut out in acrlyic, which leads to the sump.
The 1" line has been reduced from the main line...

mseepman
09-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Okay...I think I see what you mean. You've done an amazing job with that setup. It looks immaculate, just like your display. Thanks for the input, I will see what I can do.

Captainhemo
09-17-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey Mark,
With such a small retutrn section yoou'll proobably want to make sure you have an auto top off as your water level is going to decline quite rapidly with evap. I'm currently running a 20 gal sump and don't have an auto top off, I have to add water daily to avaoid sucking air into the return pump.
I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to make a modification to my stand to fit a 30 gal sump into it but its not looking promising. If I decide to to leave it as is and stay with the 20, I will also be ordering a Tunze skimmer, its about all that will really fit into a 20 gal sump and leave any room for anything else

mseepman
09-17-2007, 02:59 AM
Okay, after a bunch of suggestions, here is an updated idea/diagram of my possible sump/fuge.

Let me know what you think.

Redrover, I like your idea on this but I already have the 20g tank and no more room as my stand is only 35" wide.

Captainhemo
09-17-2007, 04:58 AM
If vertical clearance in yoour stand is an issue (ie, can't raise up skimmer if need be) make sure you design sump to proper water depth for skimmer . I'm not sure what is reccomended for the Tunze's but might wanna double check before cutting/gluing in your baffles.
Also, being that the skimmer is only abouot 5x5 you may wanna devide the skimmer section off with some egg crate and pile in some more rock / rubble

mseepman
09-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Hey Captain,

Thanks for the response. I don't think that vertical will be a problem as the Tunze skimmer will be the highest thing in there at only 22-24" and I have about 30" to work with. As for Skimmer depth, I would say the Tunze is the most versatile skimmer I've seen. I only received it on Friday but the instructions tell me that it's got a ton of range.
If you look closely at the diagram, I have the skimmer sitting on Egg-crate and the baffle that you see beside it is egg-crate too. I was thinking of putting more LR rubble in that compartment but I was worried about "dead areas" so I decided to leave it alone.
Keep the suggestions coming though as I haven't started siliconing yet and a fellow OK reefer has got my undivided attention.

Captainhemo
09-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Gotcha on the egg-crate, thats a good idea. Does the chaeto/macro algae just "float " in the fuge? I've never had one so I'm just curious.
I'm going to probably end up doing a very similar design with my sump when I re-do it.
The only other thing I'd watch is to make sure you have enough volume in that return section for evap/drainage when the return pump is shut down. You've probably accounted for this but I figured it was worth metnioning.
Where did you end up getting the skimmer from ?

mseepman
09-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the input Captain. I purchased the Skimmer from J&L. After a lot of research, I found out that the 9010 and 9015 are the same, except for the skimmer cup. The larger skimmer cup lets you open up the air more on the 9015. I'm not sure that this is worth the extra $110 though. If you plan on ordering the 9010 you have to do a special order with J&L and it will take a little to come in. The 9010 is shorter so that might be something to consider.

Captainhemo
10-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Hey, have you got this together yet ? How is that skimmer working for you ?
Still no stock on the Tunzes so I haven't ordered one yet. I've considered going with a EuroReef but can't decide. I'm anxious to know how you are liking the Tunze. LMK when you have it up and running.
Anyone else have any input regarding Tunze 98010 vs EuroReef RS100 ?