PDA

View Full Version : firefish goby odds

christyf5
01-23-2002, 08:00 PM
Hey guys,
So I have two firefish gobies (Nemateleotris magnifica). When I got them they were both fairly small and the same size. I've had them for about 7 months. When I got them they were in my 29 gallon tank all happy and they hung out together. Of course they've grown since then but one has grown quite alot more than the other and is probably about 1.5-2x the size. Since putting them in my 48G tank they were fine and hung out at one end of the tank where most of the rock is. Lately I've noticed that the smaller one hides behind the rocks alot and the big one won't let him come out. When I feed I feed mostly in the middle of the tank to distract the bigger one and then put some food over towards the corner where the little one is hiding. I don't know how well he is doing since he mostly just lays (upright) on the sandbed which I don't think is all so good for him. So what I'm wondering here is that since they are obviously not thinking about pairing up (ever). What are my options? Which do you think would be best for the little one??

Option A: Getting more live rock and spreading it throughout the tank (I'm going to do this anyway, sometime soon I hope). I'm hoping this will allow them to spread out more. Right now they hang out in about a 1 foot corner of the 4 foot tank. I guess they like to be where they can hide easily.

Option B: Find a home for one of them (I'm leaning towards keeping the little one mostly because he is cute and little and because I feel sorry for him).

So do any of you figure option A will work? For now I'm going to put the bigger one in a quarantine tank until I can get some more live rock. At least this way I can try to fatten up the other one. He isn't looking thin at all but he looks rather forlorn.

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Troy F
01-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Seperate them, the smaller will be killed for sure. The hard part is catching it.

Reefmaster
01-23-2002, 11:07 PM
christy
we have two in a 6' tank and they never spend the days together but shack up when the lights go down images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
we would trade you for something else if you do decide to find a new home for one. shane

ldzielak
01-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Christy,

I could also be interested in one if you decide to remove one. All I have left is a Golden Head gobie, who is full size. As long as they would get along. I've always liked the firefish gobies.

Troy F
01-24-2002, 12:45 AM
Shane, you may have a mated pair. A six foot tank may have something to do with your success but I wouldn't tempt fate if I were you. My experience and everything that I've read says no more than one unless they are paired up.

I was sold a mated pair of Nemateleotris decora and after quarrantine the bigger never let the smaller come out of hiding. I don't think they were a mated pair images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif .

Reefmaster
01-24-2002, 02:24 AM
hmmm, very interesting troy. they sure do make for home when something scares them and when the lights go out. its pretty funny, cuz the entire time during the day they are at opposite ends of the tank. maybe they been married for a long time. haha, joking in case anyone wasn't sure. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
shane

Troy F
01-24-2002, 12:06 PM
By anyone you must be refering to Mrs. Shane images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif . Seriously though, how long have you had them together? You may be able to observe some spawning, watch close and see if you can find eggs. Check out the breeders registery and see if there is any information on how they go through the procedure.

Troy

christyf5
01-24-2002, 02:42 PM
Hey Shane,
How long have you had yours?? Mine used to do the same thing. They totally hung out together or just ignored each other for the day and then shacked up together at night. Not the same story anymore tho. I guess I'll attempt the to get the one out of there. Man that is not going to be fun.

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Reefmaster
01-25-2002, 02:09 AM
troy
mrs shane isn't offended by much -- heck, its a good thing, she lives with me. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
guys this if the wierdest thing. we have had our
two firefish for a number of months and they have done fine, as i said cohabitating at night. we got home tonight and couldn't find one of them, so i went to feed and there was one, lying on the top glass (i've been leaving the lids open to cool the tank) dead as could be!!!! what the heck!?! that's what i call wierd! shane

christyf5
01-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Apparently firefish are notorious jumpers and judging from the speed of mine (man they are fast when they want to be) they could probably clear 6 feet from the tank if they wanted to. Mine has only jumped once and he rebounded off the hood since my tank is enclosed. He was none the worse for wear but it scared the crap out of me.

Troy F
01-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Shane, which of the two did the jump?

terryp01
01-26-2002, 12:35 AM
This behavior is typical of this fish. I kept 8 of them in a 120 gallon and did not have any problems for about six months, then I had two.

With the gobies, the higher they swim in the tank indicates the more dominate fish. With any of these type fish (IME) and pseudochromis it is more of a luck of the draw on getting them to pair up. The female is usually the aggressor and may end up killing the male if he is weak or does not prove to be a suitable mate.

As long as you have enough hiding places for the fish they should be okay, if they are getting something to eat.

Any fish that you are trying to pair up should be done so with caution. They are many fish that do well in community tanks (chromis, anthias) but others may appear to get along and the next day you have some floating/hermit food.

Unless you intend on breding these fish and collecting the fry to raise, I would suggest staying with one of a kind.

This is only my opinion and based on my experience.

Duss.