PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help with a tank move? Calgary monday night

Pan
09-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi people, I know i'm new and have never met most of you, but i was wondering if there might be a couple people who could help me move a tank from a basment to a mini-van in the street. The people i was counting on have a wedding rehearsal monday night. It would be monday night about 6pm or so? I am renting an appliance dolly to bring it up the stairs. but I need help to move it onto and to steady and well...push and pull up the stairs :) I can throw you 20 bucks if that will help :)

Der_Iron_Chef
09-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Is this actually in Calgary or in Didsbury?

Pan
09-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Is this actually in Calgary or in Didsbury?
Tank is in calgary..i will be moving it to didsbury and have help there....and it looks like my buddies pulled through...at least one did so I think the two of us can handle it. one more person might be nice though. I think me and him will be able to do it, we'vew moved bigger things...he used to be a furniture mover as well...back in the day at least...I might just have to host a meet when i get set up, well i dunno if anyone would come out there from calgary though....would have been nice to meet some of the people in person...i have no "fish" friends, they all think I am crazy at best...quite foolish at worst :)

Delphinus
09-16-2007, 03:10 AM
I'd ordinarily offer to help but it's only been a month since I broke my shoulder and I'm not quite back to normal yet. :( Sorry dude I feel bad (I could have used the karma points because I'm going to need help lifting a tank off the floor and onto a stand in the next 2-3 weeks :neutral:) Best of luck, and sorry about that!!

Der_Iron_Chef
09-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Well, if you DO need more help, I probably can. PM me if you want my cell phone #. Otherwise...good luck :)

Oh, and Tony...let me know when you need help, too ;)

Neil
09-16-2007, 03:39 AM
what part of town and how big is the tank?

EmilyB
09-17-2007, 01:53 AM
How did you do that Tony? Or is it a big long, somewhat embarrassing story...:lol: Hope you heal soon, a broken shoulder sucks with little kids around...:surprise:

Pan
09-17-2007, 04:04 AM
CANCELLED - Seller needs more time.

Thanks to everyone who offered...may take you up on it at a later date :)

Delphinus
09-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Maybe I'll be better healed by then :) I'll help if I can. Each week is a lot better than the week before for me.

Hi Deb, short version is I fell off my mountain bike, I had a mountain biking accident when riding at Whistler BC. It was fun right up to the point where I fell over my handlebars. (Remember that old thread "Famous Last Words"?? .... "I regret nothing !!! Except for this one last thing right nowwwwwwwwwwww aaaiiieeeeeeeeee!!!") In the fall I dislocated my shoulder (ow, btw - all I'll say is, don't ever do this if you can avoid it) and broke off my "greater tuberosity of the humurus." It's some little nub like thing on the ball of your arm socket. I'm not sure what it's function is. I figure, on the bright side, if you're going to break something, at least don't break something that you *know* you need. If I had to guess, it's probably something like a "stop" that prevents your arm from overrotating or something.

First 3 weeks or so my arm was more or less completely limp and useless. I think the dislocation was the worse thing of the two. I've got about 90% function back now, but my arm is really weak, have to do lots of exercises and stuff.

danny zubot
09-24-2007, 05:47 AM
Are you planning to place your big tank Tony?

michika
09-24-2007, 01:54 PM
In the fall I dislocated my shoulder (ow, btw - all I'll say is, don't ever do this if you can avoid it) and broke off my "greater tuberosity of the humurus." It's some little nub like thing on the ball of your arm socket. .

I think you mean greater tubercle, which is number 1. Its the part of your shoulder bone that you can palpitate. Its a ridge/bump that muscle connects to. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20041115/1947_f4.jpg

Delphinus
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey I'm just telling you what they told me. I even had to get them to write it down, because I was like .. my what? My tuba what? My tuber? Porosity?
So anyhow, it is the "greater tuberosity". On the diagram where it shows you the tubercle, it's some extrusion or .. Gads, I don't know how to describe it, the actual report uses terms like "lateral and something something aspects" .. it's completely over my head.

Anyhow, don't ask me what a tuberosity is. I'm no anatomyist. :p

So basically what you're telling me is, the doctors just made up the term on the spot just to see me try to wrack my brain trying to comprehend it. I KNEW IT! DANG IT!!!!

"Hee hee, this guy is totally hopped up on Entenox, let's see what we can get him to believe!! <snicker snicker> Yeah, you, um, fractured your seventh Boykersity of your lateral and anterior aspects of your boogaboogbabone. You're going to have to rest that for 17 weeks!! No trying to move it now!!"

Der_Iron_Chef
09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh, I once broke my boogaboogbabone...except it was the posterior aspects. If you get my drift.

Huh?

Delphinus
09-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Ok, I guess it's not completely made up. Same thing, different name.
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/subjects/subject/51

Take a line and slice off the very corner of that thing. That's what I did (..it was surprisingly easier than you might think. All you need is a mountain bike, and a mountain.)

Actually today I go to have my (hopefully) last x-ray of it done. Yay! My mobility is mostly back but there are just certain things I still have trouble with. Last week I was trying to empty a packet of sugar into my coffee. I can extend my arm, and I can rotate my arm. But extend AND rotate? Wow, that's a surprisingly complex motion. I could do it but I really had to concentrate. :neutral: Oh the joys. I don't want to break another greater tuberosity of the humerus. I can scratch that one off the list of "things I've done to myself."

Parker
09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
How was Whistler besides the broken bones? I tried to make out there this year to ride but it didn't happen. I planned to drive out there but my little Focus burned 1.75 tanks of gas to Banff alone with the bikes on the roof. Might have to figure out how to get them inside the car!

Delphinus
09-24-2007, 07:19 PM
It's absolutely amazingly awesome wicked. There's really nothing out our way that compares. Well, places like Panorama, Fernie, Kicking Horse come sort of close, but really, Whistler is ground-zero of the sport. C.O.P. in Calgary is not bad for diversity I guess but the sheer vertical you get at Whistler ... there's really nothing that compares. I met with riders from all over the place, Australia, New Zealand, U.K., U.S., .. they come from all over to ride Whistler. Each run has you riding for like 30-40 minutes at a time, minimum (and I didn't even make it up to the top half of the mountain) and you're fully engaged every second of the way. There's no .. how can you describe .. there's no "down time" or "slow time" between the technical parts for you to sort of catch your breath. It's drops, berms, jumps, ladders, single-track ... There's something for everyone. And you'll catch glimpses of the pro riders too since most of them call Whistler their home base too. Really neat to see these guys (and up and comers) ply their craft. It's totally worth going to, just be sure you're in good bike shape, really easy to get yourself into trouble there as I found out.

In all honestly, depends on what you're riding right now, but you might want to consider renting if you do go. I don't think I'd want to ride 6" travel bike out there, I managed to fully compress my 8" travel bike on a couple occasions.

A-Line is soooooo much fun. Yeah, do go if you get the chance. :cool:

Parker
09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Cool, I'll have to make it a point to make it there next year! I'm only running a six inch travel Rocky right now, not much use for anything bigger here in Edmonton unless you huck, which I'm getting to old for! lol. So I'll have to rent once I get out there.

Skimmer Juice
09-24-2007, 09:17 PM
O we got some riders on hear, that is good to see, I work at B&P cycle.

danny zubot
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
I planned to drive out there but my little Focus burned 1.75 tanks of gas to Banff alone with the bikes on the roof. Might have to figure out how to get them inside the car!

I wouldn't think that a bike would have that much drag on top of a car! Would it be much better if you had the bikes rear mounted?

Parker
09-24-2007, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't think that a bike would have that much drag on top of a car! Would it be much better if you had the bikes rear mounted?

That's with two bikes on the roof one wheels on and the other fork mount. Rear mount would make a huge difference but would render my hatch useless with the bikes on, I also wasn't thinking about higway travel when I bought my racks and I have too much invested to start over again with a hitch mount.

The Focus's aren't known for great gas millage to start with, so that doesn't help.

Delphinus
09-24-2007, 10:10 PM
The one lesson I learned at Whistler is that I'm a little too old to huck, too. I like ripping down single track at ludicrous speed (I'm 36, one of the guys I was riding with is 22 and he was astounded "Dude, you're 36? I can't keep up to you!" :lol: But he can do big air, which is just completely out of my skill level.) Whistler is very difficult to ride and not get air. The lips on the jumps, you just can't get over them without getting some kind of air (otherwise your bike doesn't make it up the up part). To watch the kids go by, and get 6 feet, 7 feet, 10 feet of air ... it's astounding. They swear at you if you slow them down. :lol: It amazes me how gravity defying they are. Oh to be 20-something (and under) and indestructible. Just you wait! One day you'll have a mortgage, and a receding hairline, and .. and .. AND YOU'LL HAVE TO GET UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TO GO PEE! YES! IT'S TRUE!!!!

<cough cough> sorry about that, not sure where that came from!!!

Pan
09-24-2007, 11:14 PM
The one lesson I learned at Whistler is that I'm a little too old to huck, too. I like ripping down single track at ludicrous speed (I'm 36, one of the guys I was riding with is 22 and he was astounded "Dude, you're 36? I can't keep up to you!" :lol: But he can do big air, which is just completely out of my skill level.) Whistler is very difficult to ride and not get air. The lips on the jumps, you just can't get over them without getting some kind of air (otherwise your bike doesn't make it up the up part). To watch the kids go by, and get 6 feet, 7 feet, 10 feet of air ... it's astounding. They swear at you if you slow them down. :lol: It amazes me how gravity defying they are. Oh to be 20-something (and under) and indestructible. Just you wait! One day you'll have a mortgage, and a receding hairline, and .. and .. AND YOU'LL HAVE TO GET UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TO GO PEE! YES! IT'S TRUE!!!!

<cough cough> sorry about that, not sure where that came from!!!
Give it a couple more years, buy depends, then you won't have to get up in the middle of the night to pee anymore :)

Delphinus
09-24-2007, 11:18 PM
You dang kids, get off my lawn!!!

I have a sudden urge to drive 20 under the limit in the left lane. Maybe I'll even leave my blinker on.

Pan
09-24-2007, 11:21 PM
You dang kids, get off my lawn!!!

I have a sudden urge to drive 20 under the limit in the left lane. Maybe I'll even leave my blinker on.

If you have a LAWN in Calgary YOU ARE OLD! :)

Pan
09-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Oh yeah Delphinus put me down on your list when you need your tank moved....I can't wait for mine, but I am....trying :0

danny zubot
09-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Haha, the truth be told, I had an incident this past summer that made me realize I'm not indistructable either. I jumped off of a cliff onto soft sand at Barrier lake and tore my ACL, or was it my NCL. I don't really know, but it hurt for two weeks after. The jump wasn't unfamiliar to me, I've done it many times in the past to get to my favorite picnic site on the lake. For some reason though, I landing it wrong and payed for it for two weeks. If I was 20 again, I'd have walked it off like nothifng happened, if I would have hurt myself at all.

Ahh to be 30+, and to realize that its really down hill from here.:wink: