PDA

View Full Version : Directing return from canister filter

tknude
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I have seen these black bendy things that people use to dirrect water flow coming into there tanks from return lines (excuse my use of excessive technical jargon) . What are these called and where can you get them from? I would like to attach it to a PVC return line coming from a caniser filter into the tank. Other sollutions for directing water flow in a sidways fasion would be apprciated.

Ted.

saltynuts
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
i think you are talking about loc line!
your lfs should have some.

GreenSpottedPuffer
09-14-2007, 12:13 AM
I have seen these black bendy things that people use to dirrect water flow coming into there tanks from return lines (excuse my use of excessive technical jargon) . What are these called and where can you get them from? I would like to attach it to a PVC return line coming from a caniser filter into the tank. Other sollutions for directing water flow in a sidways fasion would be apprciated.

Ted.
Do you mean you are going to use a canister filter as a return pump? Very bad and risky idea if so. Too much can go wrong...

X-Treme
09-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Do you mean you are going to use a canister filter as a return pump? Very bad and risky idea if so. Too much can go wrong...

I'm pretty sure he says it is return from a CANISTER FILTER. Not that he is using a canister filter pump as a sump return.

What about using just the spraybar from the filter but UNDER the water level? (I'm not an expert tho. I've never used a canister in salt water before)

tknude
09-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a sumpless 33 gallon tank and just added an XP3 canister filter to split the return to the tank and through a phosban reactor. So the Loc line should do the trick in allowing me to direct my flow the way I want. Thought about the spray bar but did not give it a try. I am going to have to build a PVC part to go from the return hose to go over the back of the tank due to a part leaking. So thought I could incorporate the Loc Line.

Thanks. Ted.

Pan
09-14-2007, 05:47 PM
The Xp's have some sort of jet nozzle adapter that has a pivot do they not?

tknude
09-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I bought it used so I'm not sure if I have a piece like that. I don't think so. Curently it has the 2 90 degree bend part over the back and a small part hanging down with another 90 degree shooting across the top of the tank, but it dripps (currently into the tank). If it came unsuctioned to the back of the back of the tank it would drip onto the floor. Amy suggestions for preventing suction cups from detatching from a painted back of a tank?

Ted.

digital-audiophile
09-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Go see Albert at Golds, he can hook you up with Loc Line :)

tknude
09-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Will do. Thanks all.

robert
09-14-2007, 06:51 PM
... or here (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/tlist/plumbing/loc_line.php?category_ID=213).

Slick Fork
09-14-2007, 07:58 PM

What makes using a canister as a sump return a bad idea?