PDA

View Full Version : Phytoplankton Culture

sumpfinfishe
01-07-2003, 08:58 PM
I am interested in starting up my own phyto culture, do any of you do this :?: and if so how hard is it to do :?: I also have updated my webpage with new pics-just incase anyone wants to take a boo!

Happy New Year Reefers! :)

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 09:12 PM
A great refrence for learning is Flame angel.
The tank of the month on Reefcentral.
Go to his/her site. Good info on doing this.

cheers.

zulu_principle
01-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Another good setup is in Wilkerson's book, Clownfish.

I started my culture, then found it a little too much work for feeding my rotifers so just use nannochloropsis from instant-algae.com.

I have some of the petri style culture dishes that I would trade or sell to start your culture.

Wendell

sumpfinfishe
01-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Jonathan i saw her article already on reefkeeping-was great, however when I hit the link to Susans website I was not able to link to her page.

rayjay
01-08-2003, 01:59 AM
Phytoplankton (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/phyto.html)

sumpfinfishe
01-09-2003, 05:21 AM
Tanks alot rayjay, and zulu I've got the "softie" but simply forgot it was in there :oops: Tanks sff

stephane
01-09-2003, 02:55 PM
I started my culture, then found it a little too much work for feeding my rotifers so just use nannochloropsis from instant-algae.com.

I have some of the petri style culture dishes that I would trade or sell to start your culture.

Wendell

exacly the same here I now use only frozen algea from Saltwater Connection same result even berter ans a way more easy and very cheap a 30$ botle will last me forever :D and the rotifer are triving

Samw
01-10-2003, 07:20 AM
I use DT's and I would love to culture them myself if I had a larger place to live. I've tried feeding my tank with the Tahaitian Blend frozen dead stuff but it makes my liverock green and I only add a few drops (after mixing it with tank water in a cup). I would much prefer using the live DT's.

I tried putting a spoonful of DT's in a coke bottle and then put it out on the patio to see what would happen. The water stayed green to this day. I'd like to think that the phytoplankton are still alive in there and even multiplying. I could try feeding this to my tank but without oxygenating the water in the coke bottle, I'm afraid there might be harmful bacterial in there. Since my tank doesn't stay green after feeding DT's, I'm sure my organisms are eating it up as fast as I am putting it in.

stephane
01-10-2003, 07:39 AM
I use 30 drop each other night of the Tblend from saltwater connection and i have not see this problem in my tank