PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics? updated, with pics of my sick fish

Static
09-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Since regulations have changed for over the counter antibiotics, and we can't buy Maracyn anymore, where do people get antibiotics to treat their fish.

I've had a newly purchased coral beauty in quarantine for about a week now, and it has begun to show signs of an infection.

Should I make a call to veterinary clinics to see if I can buy some that way?

Does anyone know the names of anything I should ask for specifically?

Thanks, Myles

Redrover
09-13-2007, 04:59 AM
I used No-Sick-Fish until it was pulled from the shelf...make sure he's eating lots...I feed their food socked in garlic extreme and vita-chem.
Turn you temp up to 82 for a week [ has worked for me ]
Good luck:2gunfire:

Salmon King
09-13-2007, 06:35 AM
erythromycin is the antibiotic you want

Static
09-16-2007, 05:58 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/coral_beauty_fungus.JPG

Well I've been using some Maracyn tablets that I had from a previous infection on my clown fish. Unfortunately my poor coral beauty seems to be getting worse instead of better. I know the picture isn't the greatest but any suggestions on what is actually growing on this fish, or better yet, what I should do about it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Myles

Reef_kid
09-16-2007, 07:11 AM
maracyn is erythromycin... it is a broad spectrum antibiotic so it should take care of most bacteiral infections however if your using it in a reef tank with live rock it will kill all the other bacteria that are gram +
however if your treating a bacteria that is gram- all it will do is kill other bacteria that will in turn posion your fish with antigens and toxins

best thing to do would to get the fish into good clean saltwater from your main tank increase the tempature a few degrees and the salt concentration

trisulfa drugs may also be another way to go since is commenly used for popeye infections. but again use in a tank with freash salt water

Static
09-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info.

This fish has been in a 20 gallon quarantine tank since I purchased it 1 and a half weeks ago. And in that time I've done 5 gallon water changes every 2-3 days.

I set up this tank when my clown fish had some fin rot a couple months ago. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have broken down the tank and sterilized everything, but with the use of the maracyn, (erythromycyn) my clownfish recovered and was healthy for several weeks befor I returned him to my display tank (although he is missing most of his dorsal fin).

Since maracyn 2, intended for gram- bacteria isn't available off the shelf anymore, should I just phone veterinarians and hope that I find one that is sympathetic to my situation. I believe that maracyn 2 is Minocycline.

You mention trisulfa drugs. Are these available in canada, I'm guessing not off the shelf.

My tank temp is currently 82, you mentioned raising the salinity... by how much?

Thanks again for your suggestions. I really wish I could help this fish

Myles

i have crabs
09-16-2007, 03:48 PM
paraguard works fairly well against those kind of problems.