PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic questions.

fishytime
09-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm wanting to build a small acrylic tank. My questions are what is the best way to cut the acrylic to size? I'm assuming any table saw will do, but I'm wondering if it will chip out on the back side. Are there any tips or tricks to getting a smooth cut. Also what brand of silicone do you all suggest I use? Any help for this tank building newb would be greatly appreciated.

Pan
09-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm wanting to build a small acrylic tank. My questions are what is the best way to cut the acrylic to size? I'm assuming any table saw will do, but I'm wondering if it will chip out on the back side. Are there any tips or tricks to getting a smooth cut. Also what brand of silicone do you all suggest I use? Any help for this tank building newb would be greatly appreciated.

If you try and stick acrylic together with silicone you are in for a big surprise. You need Weldon on #3 or #4 or Like #13 or something i forget and different people use different ones. I used 3 but not everyone does. Plus an applicator needle. Yes a table saw will do it but you need ablade that will give you a fine edge, not just a ripping blade. The place where I got my acrylic cut for me in B.C had a special tool for the edges, i forget what it was called but they cut it then put it on this table and the edges were smoothed perfectly.

Aquattro
09-13-2007, 03:26 AM
had a special tool for the edges, i forget what it was called but they cut it then put it on this table and the edges were smoothed perfectly.

Planer.

Ya, you need a good (great?) acrylic blade, perfect edges and Weld-On #3 (or 2, or 4, not the thick stuff). Basically methyl chloride, a solvent that binds the two edges togehter.

kari
09-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Planer.

Ya, you need a good (great?) acrylic blade, perfect edges and Weld-On #3 (or 2, or 4, not the thick stuff). Basically methyl chloride, a solvent that binds the two edges togehter.

Jointer :biggrin:

http://busybeetools.com/pictures/CT087.jpg

kari
09-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Add a router to the required tools list.

fishytime
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and gal. Just spent like an hour reading the thread on RC about joining acrylic and now I'm freaked out about it. I have a few scraps kicking around and have access to all the tools, but it seems like there is quite an art to it. The guy on RC has built a few sumps and feels that he is still not ready to do a display. So I may have to give this some more thought, or change my direction all together. Does anyone have or know where to get some small scraps of glass:smile: Was thinking of a tank that is 24"lx8"x8" for my desk top.

Aquattro
09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Jointer :biggrin:

http://busybeetools.com/pictures/CT087.jpg

Duh, of course. Like a tablesaw, but different :) I should know what' it's called, I have one somewhere...

seashells
09-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Try this link http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html. He has some good info. Also good stuff on tools. Very detailed..

doug

hillbillyreefer
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I used my router and table to cut out a 17 gal last weekend. I tried to glue it with testors model cement, seemed to work. I also made some cement by soaking acrylic chips in acetone and then used a syringe to apply it, worked well. Tank has been holding water for 3days without a blow out or leak. The most important part is having very smooth edges makes gluing up much easier! Have fun. Fill it outside and let it sit for a couple days to leak test before setting up in the house.

Brad