PDA

View Full Version : Live plants in a Fw aquarium?

Cowboy
09-12-2007, 05:17 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me any information if it is worth having any life plants in an aquarium or does it just make a mess:question:

Midknight
09-12-2007, 03:42 PM
No, live plants are the best. They help clean the water and provide O2 for the fish.
Just building a 50 G planted tank right now.

fishmaster
09-12-2007, 04:38 PM
IMO, having live plants in a freshwater tank is like having a fuge. They are the best thing going for nutrient export ect...Just make sure you keep them pruned as they grow. If you leave any dying parts of them in the tank, you will see a nitrate spike for sure, maybe even ammonia depending how much biological filtration you have & if it can keep up. When I used to keep freshwater tanks, I would run an oversized filter(ie:xp3 on a 55gal) with lots of biological media and lots of plants. My tanks were always low maintenence, they almost took care of themselves. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make my reef that easy!:biggrin:

Cowboy
09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
i have an aquaclear 110 going for my big tank with those bio rings, guess i am going plant shopping today, thanks for the input

trilinearmipmap
09-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I recommend checking out web forums on keeping plant tanks to learn from other people's mistakes instead of making all the mistakes yourself. Believe me I have made plenty. Plant tanks work great when done right but there are a lot of pitfalls.

Basically you need to learn about lighting, substrate, nutrient fertilization, and CO2.

Do not waste money on plants at a fish store. Buy plants from other hobbyists. Most plant tank people prune out a bucketful of plants every week. You will save money.

fishmaster
09-13-2007, 02:43 AM
I recommend checking out web forums on keeping plant tanks to learn from other people's mistakes instead of making all the mistakes yourself. Believe me I have made plenty. Plant tanks work great when done right but there are a lot of pitfalls.

Basically you need to learn about lighting, substrate, nutrient fertilization, and CO2.

Do not waste money on plants at a fish store. Buy plants from other hobbyists. Most plant tank people prune out a bucketful of plants every week. You will save money.

I think it important to differentiate between adding plants to an aquarium for function(ie; nutrient export, a more natural balance & look ect...) and a "Planted Tank"(ie;plants being the main theme of the tank involving special substrates, CO2 injection and so on) If you just want to add a few plants for function, IMO, I wouldn't worry too much about making big mistakes. Based on my past experience, I would make the following recomendations for a "function" plant tank. You don't need it but, a fine substrate will grow plants much better that gravel. Make your plant selection based on your water chemistry and lighting. For example, if you keep fish that favor a low ph, select a plant that will grow in low ph-java fern does really well in acidic water and lower light. A comunity tank with a neutral ph will grow others well. I highly recomend Amazon sword for a neutral to somewhat acid water. I don't have any recomendations for high ph because I never kept fish that favored those conditions. Also, check with others in your area to see what does well in your local water. I would also add some fertilizer suppliment once in a while-I recomend the kent freshwater plant fertilizer. You don't need it all the time, the idea here is for your plants to grow on the nitrates from your fish. The fertilizer will replace the micro-nurients they don't get from your fish. And lastly, make sure your fish are plant safe-I don't need to explain that one! A"planted tank" is another story, so certainly do your research beforehand if that's what your doing.

Cowboy
09-13-2007, 11:00 AM
i would like to thank all of you for very in depth responses, i am new to this website and am really enjoying it. i did go out and buy some plants today.

Cowboy
09-13-2007, 11:09 AM
and i couldn't help myself i bought two more sharks lol
a red tail shark and a bala shark

woodcarver
09-14-2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.plantedtank.net/
The above link is a good site for planting info. and ideas .........
..........Dave

RedneckDaveAb
12-26-2007, 08:17 PM
We have live plants in most of our aquariums and with the right lighting they are awesome!

We grow Vals, anubias, java fern, java moss, najas grass, amazon swords, lotus plants, wisteria and hygrophila.

You could save a few dollars if you purchase a two bulb shop light from your local hardware store and hang it over your aquarium. Be sure to use "plant" light bulbs. However, if you can afford high intensity lighting that is best.

Be sure your fish are compatible with your plants. Cichlids and goldfish will quickly consume your new purchases

Dave

kwirky
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
if you get into nutrient dosing and CO2 and all that then a planted tank could turn into more work than a reef tank because of all the pruning required. they look real nice though.

ElGuappo
02-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I have a 25 with 5 oddessa barbs and 5 green tigers lots of platnts i have found that a decent light and the addition of Flourish iron my my plants are fine, The pink one i found to be the most troublesome but with the iron added they do fine.

Lance
02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
If you're gonna get some plants, get some veggie clips too. Many Cichlids will eat them, and Silver Dollars will gobble them up. Romain lettuce, etc. in the veggie clips will help some.

SeaSerpant
02-19-2008, 01:40 AM
We have live plants in most of our aquariums and with the right lighting they are awesome!

We grow Vals, anubias, java fern, java moss, najas grass, amazon swords, lotus plants, wisteria and hygrophila.

You could save a few dollars if you purchase a two bulb shop light from your local hardware store and hang it over your aquarium. Be sure to use "plant" light bulbs. However, if you can afford high intensity lighting that is best.

Be sure your fish are compatible with your plants. Cichlids and goldfish will quickly consume your new purchases

Dave

i have 4 angelfish and a few plants and i see no nippings. some types of cichlids will eat plants but not all kinds because angelfish are a TYPE of chiclid.

Megalodon
02-19-2008, 01:45 AM
I have a planted tank full of cardinal tetras, a few shrimp, hatchet fish, blue rams, and albino bristlenose catfish. It's in my bedroom and I love it.

ElGuappo
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
I have a small amount of hornwart in there a s it is soft and edible, the fish will pick at this first. Will post pics later my fresh water tank is very modest only a 25 gallon.

saltyrockbox
02-26-2008, 04:36 AM
see theplantedtank.net
a "high tech" planted tank is just as much work as a reef tank but 1/10th the cost I used to double the plant biomass every week!

JHG
03-23-2008, 06:07 PM
In my opinion, a nicely designed planted aquarium rivals a reef tank. www.plantgeek.net is a fairly decent website for plants. If you're looking for information on PMDD, send me a PM.

StirCrazy
03-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I think it important to differentiate between adding plants to an aquarium for function(ie; nutrient export, a more natural balance & look ect...) and a "Planted Tank"(ie;plants being the main theme of the tank involving special substrates, CO2 injection and so on)

this is not exactly true, while there are tanks that use all this, with plant selection you can have a low tech tank that looks just as good as any high tech tank, or you can go with a hybrid, which is somewhere inbetween low and high tech. all you have to do is buy acording to what you are willing to do.

here is a very good board where you can read up on different setups and a good place to ask questions
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

Steve

CRAP! Another Hobby
03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
If you're looking for information on PMDD, send me a PM.

Started adding PMDD to my discus tank and my plants love it! My sword is growing faster than ever!!:biggrin::biggrin: By far the best additive as a fertilizer (and way WAY cheaper than the Seachem crap!):lol::lol:

I played with the HIGH TECH method a couple of years back...too much hassel...Simply get plants that favour your water params and fish...then get some good lights to favour your plants needs. You can make it as easy and cheap, or as expensive and difficult, as you want.

ElGuappo
03-25-2008, 01:34 AM
I have a fairly well planted FW tank and its pretty easy to maintain i only add iron as a suppliment. will post pics with the 40 bucksa in plants i added tis week end soon. in the mean time you can se it with medium amounts of vegitation if you like.