PDA

View Full Version : coralline growth

bv_reefer
09-11-2007, 01:01 AM
hi i'm starting to get rapid coralline growth on my side panels and back panel, however ever since the 2nd week since i was cycling i've had these little hairy diatomes on my back panel and i waz just wondering if those would interfere with my coralline growth at some point, the coralline seems to be covering everything quite quickly even though my calcium levels were a little low at 380 for a while now, any suggestions?

danny zubot
09-11-2007, 01:55 AM
If you were a fan of the coraline look, then let it grow. IMO it beats diatoms hands down.

bv_reefer
09-11-2007, 02:00 AM
ya thanx, i'll keep that in mind lol, but seriously i don't think the diatomes should get in the way of the coralline growth, there quite minor, i would scrape them off but i don't want to take the coralline off with them :neutral:

scuglass
09-11-2007, 03:09 AM
when i first started up they were everywhere as well.. now i can only see the odd one. eventually the coralline will win :P

bv_reefer
09-11-2007, 03:12 AM
ya i noticed it's spreading over the diatomes pretty quickly lately,finally a favourable algae :biggrin:

danny zubot
09-11-2007, 03:23 AM
If you use a magnet scrubber to clean the glass it shouldn't take the coraline off. Also, coraline likes a slightly higher ALK level.

bv_reefer
09-11-2007, 03:34 AM
well i should be in the clear then, because i'm using a 10-gallon rated mag-float, just enough to take the diatomes off but leave the coralline, and just started dosing an alkalinity buffer so my alkalinity should be fine, around 10-12 dKH, but i'll have to test it thouroughly