PDA

View Full Version : Feb 1st Reef Meeting? Can I get good attendance?

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Allright all you Calgary reefers and reeferets. I was thinking of this last night and after reading Dougs longwinded post I couldn't hold back any longer.

So I need to know who would be availiable to attend our 4th,,,,maybe 5th :? . I don't know....Our next Calgary Meeting? It would be February 1st which is a Saturday and let's say around 2pm to 5ishpm. I am in the deep south part of town....So all you comming from the North you can wear shorts when comming to this part of town as it is warmer :P .
All newbies, lumpers, old guys/gals :wink: and originals invited.

Meeting, frag swap, frag or coral purchase, questions would be the purpose of the meeting

Lets here the responses.
I believe it was about this time last year wasn't it that I did this? :?
Thanks

wayner
01-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Count me In.

Delphinus
01-07-2003, 03:25 PM
I guess I'm in.

Drat. I almost had it. :( Finger is extended right now ....... feel free to use imagination which one!!

TANGOMAN
01-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Am I interested ? Hmmm. Let me tell ya' a story first...No, actually, I'll wait. Yes. I will attend. That way I will be able to confirm which finger Tony's talkin' about...
"Long winded..?" I only get that way after I've "had a few..." (and no, I haven't had few, it's not even noon yet!)
I'll behave and I'll keep my stories brief. Yaaaa. I won't need to re-fuel my truck to get home...

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 04:29 PM
I guess I'm in.

Drat. I almost had it. :( Finger is extended right now ....... feel free to use imagination which one!!
I hope there is no bad feelings cause I want to hold the meeting?
If anyone else want's to speak up now or forever hold your peace. :?

AJ_77
01-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey Jon, I think I can make it, IF YOU"RE PLANNING THIS FOR TONY. :wink:
After all, it IS his turn and you've already had one. Look how disappointed he is! He's flipping a bird... but to whom??

Sounds like a winner, depending on flight times and prevailing winds that day... :roll: (And you can always change the exact location at the last minute.)

Alan :D

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Yes the meeting place has changed, It's at Tony's which is just down the street from me so still in the south. Pending that Tony still want's to hold it?
It's only fair Tony, you just have to get your but in gear and get ready this time. If you need any help just let me know.
:D

Bob I
01-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Count me in. :D

Seriak
01-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Sure, I'll walk down!

Delphinus
01-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Placing butt into high gear!! There's no going back, now. :shock:

Ok, so .... let's just assume this is a "South" meeting. To most of you guys in the NW, Jonathan & I are pretty much roommates anyways, so it's like there's no venue change, whichever house it's at.

Is the time still good for everyone? I think I myself prefer an afternoon on a weekend, to a weekday evening this time around. I.e., still shooting for Sunday February 2, 2-5.

PS. To be fair. Jonathan probably did start typing his offer sooner than I did.

AJ_77
01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Gee, changing the date already? The original post said Saturday the 1st.

???

Sunday's not good for me, can you tell?

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Placing butt into high gear!! There's no going back, now. :shock:

Ok, so .... let's just assume this is a "South" meeting. To most of you guys in the NW, Jonathan & I are pretty much roommates anyways, so it's like there's no venue change, whichever house it's at.

Is the time still good for everyone? I think I myself prefer an afternoon on a weekend, to a weekday evening this time around. I.e., still shooting for Sunday February 2, 2-5.

PS. To be fair. Jonathan probably did start typing his offer sooner than I did.
February 1st Tony :wink:

Delphinus
01-07-2003, 06:01 PM
:oops:

Josh23
01-07-2003, 06:03 PM
I would be interested in coming as I have never attended a Calgary reef meeting, that is if the invitation is still be extended to "Newbies" (if you look a little to the left you will note that I hit 100 posts). I dont know that I will have anything to trade but if nothing else it would be a great experience.

Josh

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 06:16 PM
This is what I wrote in the first part of the post.
All newbies, lumpers, old guys/gals and originals invited.

spikehs
01-07-2003, 06:21 PM
hmmmm, i should have the following to trade/sell (pref. trade,i am looking for sps) thats gonna be mainly u then eh tony :D ?

1. banggai's (if i can every get them eating frozen food!!)
2. frogspwan, green with purple tips (anyone have a dremel they could help me frag it with?)
3. yellow leather (not sure how to do this, any suggestions?)
4. several colt corals (originally a frag from jon)
5. some zoo's (gold rim, red inner cirle)
6. Fox coral (again, not sure how to do this, any suggestions?)
7. gsp's
8. a rock of red 'shrooms
9. *maybe* a tiny purple monti frag depending on the size.

what is everyone else going to be able to bring to the "table" ?

rossb
01-07-2003, 06:21 PM
All newbies, lumpers, old guys/gals and originals invited
could the list also be ammended to include engineers? I'd be there

wayner
01-07-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm looking for Pink Boys & Girls, Birdsnest, Pocillipora, Cats Paw (Tony?),

I 'll have some (sps) frags for trade.

Jonathon:

You and I can Talk CR, I hope?

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm looking for Pink Boys & Girls, Birdsnest, Pocillipora, Cats Paw (Tony?),

I 'll have some (sps) frags for trade.

Jonathon:

You and I can Talk CR, I hope?

you bet wayne, I am in the process of figuring things out actually.

AJ_77
01-07-2003, 07:19 PM
hmmmm, i should have the following to trade/sell (pref. trade,i am looking for sps) thats gonna be mainly u then eh tony :D ?

2. frogspwan, green with purple tips (anyone have a dremel they could help me frag it with?)
3. yellow leather (not sure how to do this, any suggestions?)
5. some zoo's (gold rim, red inner cirle)
Sean, I'm very interested in any combination of the above items, esp #3 and 5. (Have a hammer, so a frogspawn might be too similar?)

Not sure what I could offer in exchange that would interest you - cash??

Alan :D

Seriak
01-07-2003, 07:42 PM
I would be interested in coming as I have never attended a Calgary reef meeting, that is if the invitation is still be extended to "Newbies" (if you look a little to the left you will note that I hit 100 posts). I dont know that I will have anything to trade but if nothing else it would be a great experience.

Josh

Well, I haven't reached 100 posts yet, so I hope that is not the determining factor here. Hey, I know. Anyone with over 500 posts has to bring free frags for everyone under 150 posts.

Sounds good to me.

AJ_77
01-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Uh-oh, I just hit 800 posts, and Jon is almost at 1000! :shock:

My first meeting, the first one that was at Jon's, I didn't have anything but a bare tank and a pile of ignorance. My question then was "can a newbie come to the meeting?" The best thing I did was to go and get to know these guys. You should go no matter what.

BTW, # of posts doesn't translate to SPS frags, sorry... :wink:

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 08:48 PM
and Jon is almost at 1000! :shock:

:wink:
Does this mean I have to bring double free frags for everyone :lol: :wink:

Quinn
01-07-2003, 09:39 PM
i'm in! :D

this probably means i'll be able to check out your setup eh jon :)

if any edmontonians are planning the drive down there's a fairly good chance we could carpool if anyone is interested, my car or yours. i've done this in the past when people are going from calgary to edmonton or vice-versa, and it works well, and it would give me a chance to ask lots of stupid questions. i normally meet people at the mcdonalds in lacombe, and it's only about a five minute delay.

Josh23
01-07-2003, 09:48 PM
well I tend to agree with the post by seriak haha.

Any ways Ill be sure to come, learn and experience as much as possible.
Thanks for the invit Jon.

Josh

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 10:14 PM
i'm in! :D

this probably means i'll be able to check out your setup eh jon :)

you bet! We can get together before Tony's or after. That goes for anyone else that want's to check it out.

spikehs
01-08-2003, 12:01 AM
wayner, do i have anything that'll interest you? what kind/colors of frags will you have to trade?

spikehs
01-08-2003, 01:00 AM
think i might have to back out of fragging the yellow leather for now...i was reading at rc, supposedly they are really tought to do and the frags need to be quite a big size. hopefully soon though.

Josh23
01-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Maybe by that time Ill have my new lighting and can buy some frags if they are available.

Josh

spikehs
01-08-2003, 02:53 AM
oh yah, forgot i have a lighiting fixture that will fit a standard 80gal tank its 4no bulbs, 2 white 2 actinic if anyone is interested.

Tau2301
01-08-2003, 03:23 AM
I should be able to come. I can't think of anything that I have to trade, but I am willing to pay cash for some choice items.

I think Bob mentioned that he had some Green Star Polyps?

Bob I
01-08-2003, 09:15 PM
I think Bob mentioned that he had some Green Star Polyps?

Four or five smallish frags. The mother rock is now residing at Ross' place.

kari
01-09-2003, 03:25 AM
I'd like to attend if it's at Tony's instead of of Jonathon's. :P Wait a minute,, I haven't been to a meeting anywhere yet.
If it ends up being at Jon's, sorry for the razz, and can I join in.
Kari

Tau2301
01-09-2003, 03:44 AM
I have a bag of #10 glass shot peen I can bring along to the swap meet.

Canadian Man
01-09-2003, 04:02 AM
I'd like to attend if it's at Tony's instead of of Jonathon's. :P Wait a minute,, I haven't been to a meeting anywhere yet.
If it ends up being at Jon's, sorry for the razz, and can I join in.
Kari
:P back at ya! No worries we all need some Razzing once and a while :lol:

Bob I
01-09-2003, 08:42 PM
I have a bag of #10 glass shot peen I can bring along to the swap meet.

I have about a third of a bag of #6

Tau2301
01-11-2003, 11:49 PM
Hey Bob, I another post you said you would sell your GSP for $5. Please put me down for one - thanks

Bob I
01-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Hey Bob, I another post you said you would sell your GSP for $5. Please put me down for one - thanks

Sure Kim, I will do that. The count right now shows three. One for Doug, one for Alan, and one for you. That is pretty well it for now. It leaves me with one. The mother rock is at Ross', so he may have to do future fragging.
Bob

kgb
01-16-2003, 02:29 AM
hey guys i am back from vacations and i am in for sure as long as you let me canadian man :)
but yeah so how does the coral swap work does every one bring there coral to trade or do yyou have to pre order it ?

also does any one have and zooathids for sale i am really intrested in these or GSP

kgb
01-16-2003, 02:34 AM
damn uooopppppssss sorry i havent read the full thread haha i have lioke 2 minutes and just noticed its a tony so as long as he lets me come i am in

kgb
01-16-2003, 02:51 AM
also does any one have any lighting the arent useing or looking to get ride of for money lets say :) but yeah if any way has lighting for say a 2 foot tank i am intrested or any parts the could got toward making a actual working unit :)

Delphinus
01-16-2003, 04:41 AM
All are welcome of course! I will post directions and stuff closer to the date.

Welcome back, BTW. How did you like Mexico? What part did you go to again? Do any snorkeling or diving?

EmilyB
01-16-2003, 04:46 AM
You should bring a sweater maybe kgb... :lol:

Hey Tony, Barry wants to know what's on the menu cuz he's really HUNGRY !!! :P :wink:

Canadian Man
01-16-2003, 04:55 AM
Sushi?!?!?! 8) :? :wink:

Jboy
01-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Well,

I am awaythat weeeknd, so I unfortunately will not be able to make it.

Next time for sure though

Delphinus
01-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, sushi, yummmy .... I was thinking Vietnamese salad rolls, although I'm not certain that everyone has the same obsession with these that I do ... I'll see how many I can make. :)

I will make sure that there is something for those who like a little zing.. :)

kgb
01-17-2003, 02:13 AM
hey tony it was a blast
i went scuba diving in acapolco and was going to go in belize but we decided to stay with some friends longer.I seen tons ofr fish and crabs and stuff but didnt make it to a reef but next time i go down there we are going to stasy in belize to dive for a week (when i get my diving certificate) but i went every where from mexico city all the way down to marida. went to my dad beach and stayed for a day and founf tons of dead corals and exo skelotons or what ever you call them and some rock

question though how to i put in rock from the ocean into my tank? should iworry bout anything like pollution or dease or anything ?

sweet cant wait to come the meeting

kgb
01-21-2003, 08:14 AM
i am just wondering if any one has some nice zooanthids for sale or some ricordea. please tell me if you have some that might be for sale :)

kari
01-23-2003, 03:15 AM
kgb

ricordia ?- yes

EmilyB
01-24-2003, 04:43 AM
I don't normally do any meetings.....but I am going to have to say I will be attending the BC meeting and scoring frags....... :lol: :P

Well, gene pool and all for us......

Delphinus
01-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Wow. That's .. uh .. an impressive distance to travel for a reef meeting. You will be missed at the Calgary meeting... have fun over there!

I'm bummed you can't come over to see what I've done with your old tank, but oh well, perhaps another time.

EmilyB
01-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Hey, they have female reefers in BC...... :shock: :lol: 8) You think I'm gonna hang out with you nerds...... :roll: :wink:

Delphinus
01-24-2003, 06:06 AM
I hope that everyone else in town (and nearby, and even not so nearby) who is interested to come, can still come.

The place:

35 Shaw Meadows Gate, S.W.,
Calgary (254-0976)

The time:

SATURDAY, February 1, 2003 -- 2pm to 5pm

Take MacLeod Tr. south to Shawnessy Blvd. Head west on Shawnessy Blvd and turn left on Shawnessy Dr. It will be your first left. Take your first left again, and that is Shaw Meadows Gate. #35 is about 5 or 6 houses in, on the right hand side, on an inside corner.

Mapquest link to address (http://www.mapquest.ca/maps/map.adp?addtohistory=&country=CA&address=35+Shawmeadows+Gate+SW&city=Calgary&state=AB&zipcode=T2Y-1A2&historyid=&submit.x=31&submit.y=12)

Agenda:

Frag and equipment sale/swap, meet and greet, social, refreshments, discussion and future plans for the club.

We have a great pool of people in this city, and I wonder if we can maybe consider whether we are ready to think about registration as a society. Perhaps we are not ready for this; as not even Vancouver has acheived this status yet, but it is a point to consider as there would be advantages such as bringing in guest speakers to do lectures, recognition by retailers, and so on. Maybe this is a dumb idea, but you will have to come to the meeting to tell me so!

I would also like to invite any topics of discussion. Our previous meetings have the feel of a social gathering, and as such if nothing else it is great to be able to get to meet everyone once in a while.

Maybe Jonathan will allow a breif visit of people afterwards (or during, or before). We are very close to each other..

So please, come one, come all. We can only be a good club if we pull together. So don't be shy, everyone is invited. Please pass the word on to any fellow reefers you may know, who are not active on Canreef.

PS. Allergy alert: there are three cats in this house..

EmilyB
01-24-2003, 06:16 AM
BTW, yes.... :roll: I'll take a camera, hopefully Sam can help me figure out how to use it...

Just in case you wanted to see pics... :?

spikehs
01-24-2003, 07:00 AM
okee, jus wanted to make sure that i had my trades straight.

1. aj, i am trading you the frogspawn + zoo's for your powerhead?
2. kjb i am selling you some of the zoo's for 5bucks?

does anyone have any nicely colored sps they would wan't to trade/sell?
also looking for a bit of xenia if anyone has some.

PS it's my bro's 22nd b-day the night before so i might have a slight "headache" so if i am not too chatty we will know why! :shock:

AJ_77
01-24-2003, 01:51 PM
okee, jus wanted to make sure that i had my trades straight.

1. aj, i am trading you the frogspawn + zoo's for your powerhead?

Correct - sounds good. Looking forward to it. (BTW, you're going to the House of Xenia for the meeting, unless things have changed at Tony's.)

REQUEST: does anyone have a smaller powerhead for sale, an MJ 600 / Hagen 301 or similar?

Thanks.

Delphinus
01-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Oh ... I forgot to mention. There are door prizes! I have about a dozen small "frags" of my formerly purple acropora (these are the pieces that broke off when I took the parent colony out of the tank about a month ago). It should become purple under 10000K light again. Under different lights it does different things. Anyone who comes is welcome to as many pieces of it as they want. They're not the greatest score as they're small and they're no longer a vibrant purple as they are just sitting in the sand, but when they're mounted again and put in good conditions I know they'll do well. (I've had this acropora for about 4 years and it has lived through every condition that my tank has ever gone through.)

I also have up for trade some other small SPS frags. Mostly montiporas ... I think a piece of two of purple digitata, and small yellow-green thin branched montipora (not sure if it's digitata or something else). I think a piece or two of monti cap. (I have to apologize: they're small. But they're healthy. Basically I don't really frag anything except by accident. If by accident I brush up and break something, well I try to mount it, and if it takes ... well then I have more than what I need.)

andestang
01-25-2003, 01:57 AM
This nerd is in ! :D :wink: Thanks Tony for hosting :D I really have nothing to offer yet for trade - I'm trying to build up for my new set-up. I would really like to buy some frags though :
- green star polyps
- zoo's
- live sand (exchange for unseeded if need to replace)
I have a VHS tape from a dive that I did when I went to Cozumel if any one is interested ( its short ) Look forward to meeting some fellow reefers.
ande

Bob I
01-25-2003, 05:01 PM
REQUEST: does anyone have a smaller powerhead for sale, an MJ 600 / Hagen 301 or similar?

Thanks.

I have available a Penguin 660. It does 170GPH. I also have a 10 gallon tank. I am learning from sad experience that one should not sell things too quickly. I sold my PC light, and a nice chunk of LR, both of which I could now find a place for. Oh well, one learns from experience.
The way I have the sale thing now. One GSP, plus one piece of Organpipe, and one White Colt for Doug.
One GSP for Kim.

I still have two nice pieces of White Colt (Cladiella sp.) available for $15.00 each.

There are also a couple of small pieces of Green Star Polyps available (I just found them). GSP's don't stay small for long.

AJ_77
01-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Bob, how much are you asking for the 660? Umm, and only when you're ready to sell... :?

:?:

Bob I
01-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Bob, how much are you asking for the 660? Umm, and only when you're ready to sell... :?

:?:

I believe one should always try to get half what they paid when selling something. I can't recall what I paid, but it is 31.99 at MOPS, so $15.00 minimum would be the price. :wink:

kgb
01-26-2003, 02:47 AM
hey i could also use a small power head or filter if nay on has anything for sale also rcipema how much for the gsp?

Bob I
01-26-2003, 02:53 AM
hey i could also use a small power head or filter if nay on has anything for sale also rcipema how much for the gsp?

five bucks, five bucks, five bucks. :D :D

kgb
01-26-2003, 05:13 AM
for sure man you just got 5 dollars richer

Bob I
01-26-2003, 03:39 PM
for sure man you just got 5 dollars richer

I will bring another one to the meeting then. Just don't be mad if you find the frag kind of small. They usually grow like mad. 8)

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 03:21 PM
After tearing down my 50g last night I find myself with an over abundance of rubble sized rock, which, when I transferred over to my other tanks, changed the aquascaping from "neat" to "too much rubble sized rocks in places."

So I will bringing some to the meeting that will be up for grabs. Oh ... wait ... it's already there. :) :D

Some of it is decent, some of it is ... well .. Ok some of it is oyster shells and I wouldn't blame anyone for not taking some, although one of them does have some acro encrusted onto it, that could grow into something some day. I might just see about scrubbing the copepods and worms out of these shells and toss them.

But there is definitely some rubble available to anyone who wants some.

Bob I
01-29-2003, 03:26 PM
That is lovely, although a little late. I think I paid $7.00/pound for rubble. :x :( :oops:

Delphinus
01-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Oh no, sorry. :( Well if you want any MORE, then you know when and where to find it. :) It's only a couple handfuls that I want to get rid of. I was thinking I could pull it out and keep it dry for future frag mounting but the problem with pulling it out is it's full of live critters that don't deserve to dry out and after last night I am just weary of saving copepods.

MitchM
01-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Tony, I think I saw some collars and leashes for sale locally for 'pods....
...y'know, similar to the felt ones you can get if you ever want to take a hamster for a walk.

Mitch :lol:

kgb
01-29-2003, 11:37 PM
does anyone have any gobies for sale or what not i have no fish or anything in my tank and was looking to maybe add a few more bits of lifge to it
or maybe a cucumber

spikehs
01-30-2003, 12:54 AM
i have some captive raised banggai's....but i have only had them eating frozen for ~1-2weeks so far, i would like to have them eating frozen for a couple more weeks....they are about 1inch tip to tail.

Josh23
01-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Kind of a late request, but if anyone has any Mushrooms they are willing to sell I would be interested. Ill be at the meeting so I can pay and pick them up then.

Josh

spikehs
01-30-2003, 01:48 AM
i have a rock of red, that you can have for free....

Josh23
01-30-2003, 02:08 AM
Spikehs I PMed you

eposer
01-31-2003, 03:29 PM
I have a bunch of nice sized acro frags & some mangrove pods I'll be bringing if anyone has something to trade(preferably sps) :D

I'm also looking for a Mag 2 or Eheim 1250 Pump for my reactor if anyone has one they'd like to sell or trade for a mag 7. :?:

Evan.

andestang
02-01-2003, 02:38 PM
I know I mentioned it earlier, but if anyone can help with some green stars, zoo's or some live sand - I can trade for my todays winning lotto ticket ! :lol: :D
Bob & Alan - did you get your rides fixed up ? I'm coming in from the south - so if you need a ride call me - 938-2602
Ande

Canadian Man
02-01-2003, 04:06 PM
I know I mentioned it earlier, but if anyone can help with some green stars, zoo's or some live sand - I can trade for my todays winning lotto ticket ! :lol: :D
Bob & Alan - did you get your rides fixed up ? I'm coming in from the south - so if you need a ride call me - 938-2602
Ande

I can bring a scoop of live sand for you if you want?

andestang
02-01-2003, 06:09 PM
that would be great Jonathon, need some to replace ? :D
Ande

andestang
02-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Or are you after that ticket :lol: :wink: :D

spikehs
02-01-2003, 06:34 PM
eposer, what size/colors are the acros?