PDA

View Full Version : Clowns with dark coloration - with pic

Eduardo
09-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to salt.

I've had a couple of clowns in my tank for about 3 months now. They were the first fish inhabitants (the only other fish inhabitant to my 30 gallon tank is a firefish) to the tank and they were purchased at about 1 1/2". Within the first week of purchase they darkened considerably and have remained that way. They eat well but stay in the back of the tank most of the time.

The only other inhabitants to the tank (that I know of) are a 5 snails, a blue legged hermit, 2 emerald crabs, pom pom crab, fire shrimp, green star polyp and an open brain coral (I just bought this a few days ago and the clowns aren't even interested in hosting it).

All other parameters in the tank seem to be normal and I keep the temp at 77.

Will the clowns remain this color? Will they eventually become more active?

Appreciate the input.

Der_Iron_Chef
09-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure why they darkened up like that, but I think they're gorgeous. Care to sell them? :D

Does the firefish hide as well, or is it fairly active?

marlincoral
09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
our clowns stayed in the back when we got them they were hosting on our over flow.now they host in our leater near the front.

Eduardo
09-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Der Iron Chef, I don't think I can sell them to you as I'd have a hard time explaining to the kids why I sold Mr. Bob and Nemo.:smile:

Firefish is active and out in front for most of the day but retreats under rock about an hour before the daylight shuts off.

clowns and firefish acknowledge each other but are not aggressive to each other.

Der_Iron_Chef
09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Der Iron Chef, I don't think I can sell them to you as I'd have a hard time explaining to the kids why I sold Mr. Bob and Nemo.:smile:

lol, true enough. That could be tragic. Perhaps you could try to put in a coral that they might choose to host in. My clown likes a lot of things--hairy mushroom, bubble, toadstool leather, frogspawn. Does your lighting allow for some corals?

Delphinus
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Think those are called "Onyx". Nice score, usually you have to pay more for them like that (I think).

Whatigot
09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I think true perculas frequently have that dark colouration that may show as the fish mature or establish their sexual order.
says so in my 500+ species you need to know fish bible who's true title and author elude me.

Mik_101
09-11-2007, 10:40 PM
sick little clown fish.

EmilyB
09-12-2007, 05:27 AM
sick little clown fish.

I get it !!

From Wikipedia:

(slang) Very good, excellent, awesome.
This tune is sick.

JasonJ
09-12-2007, 07:28 AM
nice clowns.
where did u get those and how much?

those look like onyx clowns. quite pricey too.

www.rods-reef.com

Eduardo
09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
nice clowns.
where did u get those and how much?

those look like onyx clowns. quite pricey too.

www.rods-reef.com

Got them at Ocean's here in Calgary about 3 months ago for about $12 each. They were in a tank with a bunch of other tiny orange clowns and looked pretty much the same as the rest with the exception that the black around their fins was more pronounced.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Captainhemo
09-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Yoour clowns will most likely remian this colour. Both of my clowns (I believe they're Percs) also darkened up quite a bit in the first few months I had them The male is now about as dark as the female is in this pic. The female has darkened even more.
They are aboout 3 years old now and have pretty much remained in the same spot/area for all 3 years. They move around a bit but always return to "their spot". Hosted a brain coral for a couple years which I believe they eventually killed , they drove the poor thing nuts. They used to pick up discarded shells from the hermits and then drop them on the brain, trying to feed it I guess, it was funny to watch.

You'll love watching your clowns as they mature and start doing " clownish" things. They can be quite entertaining :)

honkey sauce
09-13-2007, 03:59 AM
LF store had those true percs (onyx) for 250$ a pair
if thats what they are, could be ?

Eduardo
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Captainhemo, very nice looking clowns.

super7
09-14-2007, 10:59 PM
they look like true Percs to me.

Captainhemo
09-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Here is a more recent pic. Sorry it's not great, having troubel with new camera indoors :(

Onyx clowns ?