PDA

View Full Version : Water Clarity.

scuglass
09-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Just wondering how I can get my water clarity back to normal. My anemone split last night.. do they release any waste when this happens? I also bought a Diamond goby yesterday, everytime he takes a mouthful of sand some of it is picked up by the current and blown around the tank, so this might have something to do with it. Should i run a 200 micron filter on my overflows? Add the foam to my return pump? Waterchanges? Start to run zeovit? :lol:

A couple weeks ago i was trying to catch a fish and ended up having to reaquascape the tank... when I did this i noticed the amount of crap all over the rocks. What is the best way of getting rid of this stuff... I baste the rock befor doing a water change but it looks like this isnt getting the job done... The only thing i can think if is taking the rocks out and swishing them around getting all the stuff off. but this will go through wayyyyy to much salt and water which i cant afford.

Any ideas or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks Scott.

EmilyB
09-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Bye bye goby...:biggrin:

Snappy
09-10-2007, 04:54 AM
My substrate if fairly course so I don't have that problem with my gobies. Use a sand that is not as fine.

Pan
09-10-2007, 10:52 AM
J

A couple weeks ago i was trying to catch a fish and ended up having to reaquascape the tank... when I did this i noticed the amount of crap all over the rocks. What is the best way of getting rid of this stuff... I baste the rock befor doing a water change but it looks like this isnt getting the job done... The only thing i can think if is taking the rocks out and swishing them around getting all the stuff off. but this will go through wayyyyy to much salt and water which i cant afford.

Any ideas or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks Scott.

A Plastic turkey baster is your best low tech friend, or hook a hose to a MJ (this works the best, as it is more powerful then the baster) and blast them..both work one is a lot cheaper...before you do though put some eggcrate in your overflow and put some foam, various micron sizes over it after awhile the crap you blew off gets cot in the foam/floss and throw it out reapeat as often as needed, just make sure you have lots of water movement and surface movement from your powerheads...if possible direct them toards the overflow when doing this. Works quite awesomely actually

Just don't be shy with your rocks, blast the heck out of them with the baster and/or MJ

digital-audiophile
09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I have come to hate my sleeper goby. Sounded like a good idea when I got him to keep my sand clean but I know always have particulate floating in the tank from him stirring up the sand.

scuglass
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Yah i thought he would be great at keeping it clean.. i guess i didnt take this into account tho lol... well as with everything else in this hobby you eff up once and learn from your mistakes... only to do it again somewhere down the road heh.

ill try that with the mj nobodaddy. thanks.

PS. how are people with crazy structures supporting their rocks.... metal rods, glue, drilling holes and running pvc through the center?? Im thinking i want some tower or branch like structres.

thanks scott

Pan
09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Yah i thought he would be great at keeping it clean.. i guess i didnt take this into account tho lol... well as with everything else in this hobby you eff up once and learn from your mistakes... only to do it again somewhere down the road heh.

ill try that with the mj nobodaddy. thanks.

PS. how are people with crazy structures supporting their rocks.... metal rods, glue, drilling holes and running pvc through the center?? Im thinking i want some tower or branch like structres.

thanks scott

Not metal, saltwater and metal don't mix very well. I used fiberglass rod. and pvc to set the rock on.

scuglass
09-11-2007, 03:07 AM
lol i was thinking acrilic rods lol... dunno why metal came to mind.

Pan
09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
lol i was thinking acrilic rods lol... dunno why metal came to mind.
I found acrylic rods to be too brittle for heavier weights.

andrewsk
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I used PVC to join them, and Aquascape Milliput Epoxy to make them flow together like a single rock, plus add more strength.

Redrover
09-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Who's the dancing fairy ?:angel:

scuglass
09-12-2007, 02:46 AM
My avitar? Spiderman.