View Full Version : Oceanic Boi Cube

Nickel
09-09-2007, 04:15 AM
Hey I'm thinking of starting a nano reef
and I was wondering if the 29 gallon Oceanic Bio Cube
is a good tank to start with. =)

Mik_101
09-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Yes the bio cubes are very good starting tanks because the come with everything needed to have a reef tank. IMO they look very cool too.

Van-rookie
09-09-2007, 06:01 AM
I have a 29g BioCube, its a nice tank for beginners...but as you start to know more and learn more...then you need more, such as skimmer, MH light.

For me, after several months, things just seems to be a little too crowded in my tank.
If you still have space in your place, imo better to get 50+ gallon tank:biggrin:

Pan
09-09-2007, 08:12 AM
I have a 29g BioCube, its a nice tank for beginners...but as you start to know more and learn more...then you need more, such as skimmer, MH light.

For me, after several months, things just seems to be a little too crowded in my tank.
If you still have space in your place, imo better to get 50+ gallon tank:biggrin:

Crowded...you just need self control :) no more..one more frag can't hurt

Van-rookie
09-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Crowded...you just need self control :) no more..one more frag can't hurt

lol.... self control ? when you see the rare ones, its stupid to let them pass by...

Pan
09-09-2007, 09:10 AM
lol.... self control ? when you see the rare ones, its stupid to let them pass by...

:surprise: No its practical :)

dolphinpoint
09-09-2007, 01:08 PM
I have a 29 gall. biocube as well as a JBJ nano. The biocube is working out pretty well but does have its faults. The filtration system needs to be modded for SW IMO. I put a skimmer in the second chamber and it is working very well- it is custom made for the 29 by CPR. The filter provided for the biocube as well as the bioballs should not be used in SW. As well, the wall between the filter and the tank is not high enough as fish can jump to the back unless you add a screen. Finally, the filter is prone to micro bubbles if you do not carefully watch the water levels.
The lighting system is sufficient for primarily for soft corals. Hope that helps!

fishytime
09-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Upgrade the lighting( unless you get one with a mh. And with the mh usually comes hood modifications to deal with heat issues), upgrade the stock pump, modify the filtration system, add a second powerhead. The is an entire website devoted to modifying these "complete tanks" (nanotuners.com). If you youve spent any time at all on some of the U.S. websites you will read that 90% of the people that have these nano cubes have modified it in some way. Im not saying that they are no good its just bad when they are sold to newbies in the hobby as "all you need" when clearly almost every brand leaves a little something to be desired.

Nickel
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Ok I'm going to do more research on the different tanks and modifing them.
But this tank would be good for 5-6 small fish (no bigger than 3'') and some soft corals right?

fishytime
09-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Softies ,yes....5 or 6 fish might be pushing it. 3 or 4 would be a safer number.

BBDreef
07-15-2008, 06:22 PM
I have one. It is a nice tank, I have had some issues with water flow in the back. You may want to research other system. The lack of Metal Halides and a having a weak pump are the cons of this system. Otherwise I think it is great.