PDA

View Full Version : want to drill a 65 gallon tank

sobe
09-07-2007, 10:58 PM
I've got one of thier tank I believe it's Perfecto brand size is 36"x18"24" with a plastic brace on the middle and it has an orange sticker "Do not Drill" on the bottom of the glass.

Anyone else have own this tank and drilled the sides?
My question does the "Do not Drill" sticker on the bottom of the glass only applies to the bottom glass? Can the sides be drilled?

Right now I've built a "PVC pretzel" overflow on the tank and I've tested it for weeks with on/off timer on the return pump to simulate a power outages, so far every time it starts again the overflow still works and I didn't loose the siphon.

Delphinus
09-07-2007, 11:01 PM
I think usually the sticker applies to the bottom.. but ..... :neutral:

One trick you can try: if you have polarized sunglasses try putting them on and looking at the glass. If the glass is tempered you should see a checkerboard pattern. For example, look at your car windows with the polarized lenses, you should see the checkerboard pattern. This might help you determine whether it's OK to drill the sides.

FWIW, I have an 65g tank, it has the "do not drill" sticker on the bottom, and I was able to drill the back glass. I don't think it's Perfecto brand though, I think it might be AGA. Sooooooo... dunno if that really helps you.

The sunglasses trick might be worth a shot though ...

Big Al's BC
09-08-2007, 02:57 AM
I think usually the sticker applies to the bottom.. but ..... :neutral:

One trick you can try: if you have polarized sunglasses try putting them on and looking at the glass. If the glass is tempered you should see a checkerboard pattern. For example, look at your car windows with the polarized lenses, you should see the checkerboard pattern. This might help you determine whether it's OK to drill the sides.

FWIW, I have an 65g tank, it has the "do not drill" sticker on the bottom, and I was able to drill the back glass. I don't think it's Perfecto brand though, I think it might be AGA. Sooooooo... dunno if that really helps you.

The sunglasses trick might be worth a shot though ...

Nice trick with the sunglasses Tony!:biggrin: That should work. If the tank is either a Perfecto or All Glass 65 gallon, only the bottom pane is tempered. Any of the sides can be drilled, we do it all the time.

Big Al's BC

sobe
09-08-2007, 11:06 PM
thanks guys I'll try it with a polarized sunglass.
Now Im starting to contemplate if I should drill or stick with my PVC pretzel overflow hmm :neutral: If i Drill I have to buy diamond hole saw, I also have to cut glass to make an overflow and then silicon it.

Doug
09-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Moved to the reef forum for more info.

Fishman
09-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I just purchased a Perfecto Cornerbow (70 gallon) ... only the bottom was tempered ... I drilled the back with (2) 2.5" holes for drains and a 1.5" hole for a closed loop ... glass shops or aquarium shops will drill for $15$20/hole.