PDA

View Full Version : Would a AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 Multi be TOO much for a 35-50G?

Puff
09-06-2007, 09:08 AM
as the title says. would an aquamedic turboflotor 1000 multi (HOT) skimmer be too much for a 35-50 gallon tank? right now it looks pretty appealing, but being new to saltwater aquariums im not sure whether it would be way to much for such a small tank, seeing as it's rated for tanks from 120-240 gallons.

it's either that, a remora pro (the more i read the less i want one), the bak pak 2R+, or a tunze 9005.

any input would really help! im having a hell of a time figuring out what skimmer to buy!

the thing i like about the turboflotor is that it can go HOT or in sump, and if i upgraded down the road it would still work on a larger tank. i dont like the fact that there isnt a surface skimmer box though :(

mr_alberta
09-06-2007, 01:42 PM
If you already forsee a future tank upgrade, it will be cheaper for you to spend a little more now and get a skimmer that is overrated for your current sized tank.

I don't know too much about the turbofloater, so I will let someone else chime in on that.

DanG
09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
better to over skim than under skim, but also be a bit wary about the "ratings" of many skimmers. The Red Sea Prizm skimmers are rated for almost double the tank size they should be used on, so take any rating with a grain of salt.

Pescador
09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I had the multi on my first tank a 66g I wouldn't put it on anything much bigger. At the time it was overpriced IMO, I like the Ocean Runner pumps but it has limited adjust-ability and you might have micro bubble issues. With the drop in price of Euroreefs like the RS80 you could do a lot better for the money.
If you do use it for a HOB skimmer tap a drain into the collection cup to a waste container because it will overflow at some point.
Or better set up a small sump (you will eventually anyway:biggrin: ) with an overflow box if your tank isn't drilled, a small return pump and a Euroreef.
The Tunze might be a better option but I have no experience with them.

Puff
09-07-2007, 01:17 AM
the 1000 multi is like 250$ right now, free shipping.

did it do a good job on your 66 gallon?

even a remora pro ends up being within 10-15$ of the multi. which one do you think does a better job?

are the euroreefs really good? is it worth setting up a sump to run one?

i might have to put the reef tank on hold for a while because we're remodeling the house. so hopefully i can talk the powers-that-be in to building a tank in there to set up the reef in...with space for a sump!lol

i might end up just ordering my lights right now as they're on sale, then getting the skimmer once i know exactly how the setup will be. i already know that the tank will most likely be 36" long and 18" deep but if i can run a sump it will change my skimmer options for sure

Pescador
09-07-2007, 03:59 AM
I don't know about the Remora's but I definitely think the Euroreefs are a night and day difference. For a RS-80 its only about $30 more than your looking at.
I would go for a sump, my first was just a 20G tank with homemade partitions and a cheap submersible pump. It gets equipment out of your tank, gives you surface skimming, adds water volume and flow, you can section a bit off for a refugium, and it's easier to top up.
When I converted my Turbofloter to in-sump it never really performed very well.
If you get your main tank drilled with an overflow it could be cheaper than adding a dependable overflow later. Keep your eye out for a used tank there are some good deals around.
I read up for a year before my first tank and I still bought unnecessary stuff.

Puff
09-07-2007, 09:37 AM
i think now ill end up setting up a sump. i have one sitting at the front door, but its got bulkhead's drilled in to it that i plugged and sealed.

i really dont want to have to get a tank drilled. what are some decent overflow kits that dont need drilling? or do they exist?lol

Pescador
09-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I used a Lifereef (http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html) which uses a U-tube and it was 100% dependable, a lot of people swear by CPR's (http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage.aspx?PageAlias=overflow_boxes_cpr) they are cheaper but you have to hook them to a power head or an Aqualifter pump to ensure they restart in case of a power outage. Kind of an unnecessary risk in IMO, the Lifereef's aren't that much more expensive. (it's cheap flood insurance)
The bulkhead in your sump is great, it gives you the option of using an external pump, skimmer or refugium down the road.

Puff
09-08-2007, 01:12 AM
those lifereefs look really good. so in the case of a power failure they will keep going once the power is restored? so you dont have to worry about overflow or restarting it?

and it says it is up to 700GPH. so does it basically set itself to whatever your return would be? so if the water was coming back to your tank at say 400GPH, the lifereef overflow would roughly match that?

Pescador
09-08-2007, 03:55 AM
They are a great unit and will restart after a power failure. And they do basically set to what ever flow you put through them.
If you get a pump that has about the same GPH or more, (with head loss)
and put a valve on the output side you can find a balance between the flow and noise level. Most overflows can be noisy when they are near their rated capacity.
I see they they have a silencer option now (kinda looks like Stockman's overflow box version (http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm)) if noise is issue for you or the powers-that-be:biggrin: .

fkshiu
09-08-2007, 05:59 AM
The Lifereef HOB overflow is the best one out there. Never had a problem with mine and I stopped and started my return pump quite a bit during feeding times. Never failed to restart siphoning at all.