PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my 50 gallon

Josh23
01-07-2003, 12:39 AM
http://www.geocities.com/joshwithell/f.jpg

Heres a front view of my tank. There are also a couple more located on my website if you care to visit it. The URL is listed below.
They are pretty bad as Im not sure how to take good pics. It looks good on the view finder and then when I take the pic it all goes out of focus. Whats the best way to take a good digital picture. Whats the secret.

I would also like to invit you all to ask questions on my tank or make comments on what you think I should change etc.

Thanks for any feedback.
Josh

I would also like to give credit to Jon (Canadian Man) for the stand idea which I got after visiting his house. Thanks Jon

StirCrazy
01-07-2003, 12:43 AM
if you are linking to a page use the URL tabs.. if you want to use the img tabs youi have to link the address to a specific picture.

Steve

Josh23
01-07-2003, 12:44 AM
how do you link it to a specific picture

Samw
01-07-2003, 12:56 AM
You can't link webpages, just image URL's. Image URL's usually end with ".jpg" or ".gif".

So you want to wrap your IMG tags with something like this:

http://www.geocities.com/joshwithell/e.jpg

Josh23
01-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks Ill give that a try

Samw
01-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Whats the best way to take a good digital picture. Whats the secret.

3 ideas:

1. Use the Quick Shutter option (Needs good lighting)
2. Use a tripod
3. Use image processing software for resizing and image sharpening. I use BreezeBrowser from BreezeSys.

Josh23
01-07-2003, 02:14 AM
well the picture above works sometimes, and other times not.
Not sure why that would be.

As far as I know the digital camera we have will not allow you to change the shutter speed. Could this be correct or am I just missing something.
Its a Olympus D-520 Zoom with 2.0 megapixel.

MitchM
01-07-2003, 02:17 AM
Hey Josh,
That's quite the setup you've got going on there! :)

First things first....that hair algae has got to go! :wink:

Without us going through all your previous posts, have you listed in the past your system specs, how long it's been set up, ect.? If so, can you point us to them?

Thanks,
Mitch

Son Of Skyline
01-07-2003, 02:25 AM
Try using something other than Geocities...It might work. I just tried using Imagestation and so far so good.

Josh23
01-07-2003, 02:30 AM
I have been fighting the hair for a while now.
I just got a RO unit for Christmas so I hope that will do the trick.

The system has been up for almost 2 years in which about 8 months of that was hair algea free. Then it came back to hunt me.

ph 8.4
ammonia 0
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
Alk 10 dkh
calcium 280 ( low but I dont have any corals)
specfic gravity 1.025
Temp 79

75 pounds of figi live rock
2 25 watt NO (looking to upgrade to MH soon so i can keep corals)

1 coral beauty
1 clown
1 banggai cardinal
20 assorted snails
1 fighting conch

And a crapload of hair algea, and small feather dusters.

Circulated by a mag 5
1 hagen 400 powerhead.
30 gallon sump (left side tank)
1 crapy seacone skimmer (with modifications)

I hope thats enough.
Josh

MitchM
01-07-2003, 02:45 AM
Hmm, yes that info is helpful... :?

So am I to assume that it's been pretty much as is for the past 2 years? If so, then I'm surprised by the low reading of your CA, as it looks like your sandbed is operating properly..and if it is operating properly, then you should be seeing it dissolve into the tank water from the lower PH in the lower anaerobic layer, and as a result raising your CA level. Is your test kit maybe stale? Regardless of that, you are having nutrients building up and feeding the hair and bubble algae. Do you blast your rocks? ... :wink: See this thread for my previous experience.....http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6997. :D

Any plans to upgrade your skimmer? You could probably get away with more frequent water changes, right after you stir up a bunch of detritus that may be accumulating in your rock pile. Maybe use a turkey baster and a siphon hose at the same time.
Hair algae is no fun.

Mitch

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 03:08 AM
calcium 280 ( low but I dont have any corals)

All the more reason to wonder why? My Ca is (after 4 years) still over 400 - addressed with water changes and aragonite sand replenishment. Test kit okay?

I don't have SPS demanding corals, but I did notice a drop from 440 to 400 over the last year.

Have you checked your magnesium, and how often do you do your water changes?

Your high alk low ca is way off the equilibrium, and if you have been adding stuff, I'd suggest first getting it back in check.

Then you can do all the fancy stuff.... :lol:

:D

MitchM
01-07-2003, 03:13 AM
.... Test kit okay?

Then you can do all the fancy stuff.... :lol:

:D

Read mine again....(I mentioned that).... :P

(bet my way works better...... :P )

Mitch :wink: :D

Josh23
01-07-2003, 03:14 AM
Im currently doing bi weekly water changes.

I have never tryed to remove the debri using a turkey baster although it sounds like a good idea. I have however done the tooth brush thing and found that the algea returns in a couple weeks.

I have not really considered a skimmer upgrade because I would rather upgrade my lighting. What would you do lighting or skimmer.

Thanks
Josh

Josh23
01-07-2003, 03:18 AM
Sorry missed a couple things

No i have never checked my Magnesium and I dont believe there is anything wrong with the Ca test kit although its something Ill look into.

What is considered to be equilibrum for alk and Ca.

Josh

MitchM
01-07-2003, 03:19 AM
Do the lights. You can get by with an underperforming skimmer by lowering the bioload as much as possible and cleaning out built up detritus.

Mitch

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 03:29 AM
Craig Bingman (http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_frontiers/Biochemistry_of_Aquaria.html)

MitchM
01-07-2003, 03:31 AM
...ooohhh, nice link...I've missed that one! :D

Mitch

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 03:32 AM
When you see this graph, and graph new SW at NSW values....

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/july/bio/default.asp

You can follow how the normal scale works. As my Ca fell, my Alk fell in relation ( remember this is water change/sand replenishment only....just my particular choice)...

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 03:34 AM
...ooohhh, nice link...I've missed that one! :D

Mitch
:roll: :arrow: :o :D

Josh23
01-07-2003, 03:43 AM
Wow.
Thats a little bit of reading material.
Thansk for the link. Ill have to give it a good readover when I get a couple minutes to myself.

Josh

Josh23
01-07-2003, 04:02 AM
well I read the second link that was provided and I find it a little like reading french. Not that Im not thankfull for what you provided but its a little over my head. Is there not a simple way to determine where your Alk and Ca should be.

JOsh

MitchM
01-07-2003, 04:04 AM
Here's a simple one...:

http://www.andy-hipkiss.freeserve.co.uk/caalkcalc.htm

Mitch 8)

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 04:06 AM
Yes Josh.

It should follow the graph, or closely, at the beginning...although sps keepers push the alk...

Where it should be? Well, I would expect to begin with the normal values for your saltwater mix. link (http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.animalnetwork.co m%2Ffish2%2Faqfm%2F1999%2Fmar%2Ffeatures%2F1%2F)

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 04:07 AM
well I read the second link that was provided and I find it a little like reading french. Not that Im not thankfull for what you provided but its a little over my head. Is there not a simple way to determine where your Alk and Ca should be.

JOsh

Alk ~8 to 10 dkh I keep mine at 3.4meq/l to 4.0meq/l
Calcium anywhere above 400.

The problem some people run into is trying to raise their calcium level when it is at 280 for example and their dkh is allready at 10dkh.
If you use kalk then every 1.0meq/l increase in alk is a 20mg/l increase in calcium. So you have to raise just your calcium to the right level to try to get it into balance.

sorry about the jump from dkh to meq/l so often. I test in meq/l.

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 04:08 AM
sorry Mitch you got a "Bad Gateway" :P
Click on the link and see what I mean

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 04:10 AM
Not to disagree, but adding more things is not the best way to get back in balance. If you want to do that after, fine. First, get the Ca and Alk in balance with water changes with a good salt mix.

Josh23
01-07-2003, 04:11 AM
Thanks again.

Im going to play around with it a little this weekend when I do a water change. Ill let you all know how it turns out.

thanks for all your input
Josh

Hope to have some improved pictures for yous soon.

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 04:13 AM
Not to disagree, but adding more things is not the best way to get back in balance. If you want to do that after, fine. First, get the Ca and Alk in balance with water changes with a good salt mix.

I do agree with you on the waterchange to get things back in balance Deb, But :roll: with a calcium level that low it will take one large waterchange to bring it back to normal. I suppose it's only a 50g tank though so it's only 1/4 of a bucket. I'll put my tounge back in my mouth now :lol:

MitchM
01-07-2003, 04:15 AM
:?

Link works....waddayatalkinbout?

Mitch

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 04:16 AM
I seriously doubt the Ca IS that low...maybe another test kit is in order...
:)

Josh23
01-07-2003, 04:17 AM
Im using a Hagen test kit and for what ever reasion it has always been that low. I once pushed it up to 350 or so using turbo Ca but it just seemed to drop. Im not sure why because I do bi weekly water changes and having really nothing in the tank which would draw large amounts of Ca besides coraline algea

Im going to test my Ca and Alk tomorrow and see exactly where its sits.
If I find that my Ca is still in the 280 zone should I do a 15 to 20 gallon water change to try and bring it back up.

Josh

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 04:21 AM
Josh what salt mix are you using?

I used to use IO but the calcium level is way too low 380 :roll:

Deb may not know it but she converted me to Kent. 460 :twisted: Now that's a proper calcium level!

Josh23
01-07-2003, 04:22 AM
I have been using Kent from the very start.
I guess thats not the problem
I add about 3 cups of salt to a 4 gallon bucket. (Revy Bucket)

Josh

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 04:26 AM
:shock:

Any problems on changeover Jon ? Years ago, we tried IO because we couldn't get our brand in the neighborhood....we had serious issues. :shock:

Changeover to any other brand is supposed to be harsh unless you do it very slowly...did you have any problems in the beginning?

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 04:28 AM
I add about 3 cups of salt to a 4 gallon bucket. (Revy Bucket)

Josh

And then you aerate/mix it with a pump for at least 24 hrs, and heat it to tank temp before the water change, right? And make sure it is 1.025 or so?

Josh23
01-07-2003, 04:33 AM
yep.
add water to bucket (warm water) day before
drop in 3 cups of Kent salt
Mix it up with a stir stick (at least a couple times)
Add a heater and a air pump
Leave it over night.
check the salt levels and temp
add it to the tank

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 04:47 AM
:shock:

Any problems on changeover Jon ? Years ago, we tried IO because we couldn't get our brand in the neighborhood....we had serious issues. :shock:

Changeover to any other brand is supposed to be harsh unless you do it very slowly...did you have any problems in the beginning?

Not really any diffrence. I had so much going on at the time of change over that anything could have been a possibility.
Halide lights, calcium reactor are the examples.
I do have a little bit of hair algae that has started to pop up on the underside of the rocks latley :roll: Go figure away from the light!
This has only been in the past few weeks though and the salt change was a few month's ago.

Delphinus
01-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Bizarre, I use IO and don't think I've ever had a Ca problem .... oh well, I guess everyone's experiences are always a little bit different!

Oh and .. I can't add much to the already significant amount of info in this thread, but I do want to mention that the conversion from alkalinity units meq/L to dKH is 2.8. So 4.0 meq/l is 4.0*2.8=11.2 dKH. I apologize if this info is already up there somewhere.

StirCrazy
01-07-2003, 05:37 AM
IO is one of the better salts.. I have tested it out and everything mixes out to proper perportions.. I thought it was maby the cause of my problem but it wasn't

Steve

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 05:47 AM
add water to bucket (warm water) day before
drop in 3 cups of Kent salt

So that was warm "tap water" before your switch? Just cuz the average water heater is a BIG CAN OF WORMS...lol.....

EmilyB
01-07-2003, 06:08 AM
do have a little bit of hair algae that has started to pop up on the underside of the rocks lately /

EUROREEF.... :D

Canadian Man
01-07-2003, 03:10 PM
do have a little bit of hair algae that has started to pop up on the underside of the rocks lately /

EUROREEF.... :D

me gotsa a big skimmer allready. Bigger than your euroreef :P

BC_Grl
01-10-2003, 03:07 AM
Steve, you use IO? We use Kent as I was told that it was the closest to natural sea water...