PDA

View Full Version : Device to SUCK up Aptaisia

b_james
09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Has anyone tried to suck up aptaisia off LR? I have used Joes Juice on several occasions, but they keep coming back. I feel that I have lost control over them. Is there anyother method to rid my tank of these?

likwid
09-04-2007, 09:47 PM
1 peppermint shrimp ate 30+ of mine and completely cleaned my tank out of them in a night or two. I got rid of the shrimp shortly after, and I have not seen one come back to date.

b_james
09-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Peppermint Shrimp? How large were your Aptaisia? Some of mine are about 2" diameter

MikeP
09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I've had good luck with peppermints too. I had to buy two of them though. The first one did nothing but when I added another it didn't take long to get rid of my aptaisia. I did some looking into why I needed two peppermints and I found that depending on where the shrimp came from determines whether or not it will eat aptaisia. I also found some info saying that they prefer to be in groups.

HTH

Nice tank BTW

justinl
09-04-2007, 10:47 PM
you also have to make sure that you're getting a real peppermint. often camelback shrimp are sold as peps since they look quite similar... the camels wont touch aiptasia. the camls have a pretty obvious humpback, whereas the peps are more smoothbacked. if you're unsure, dont buy until you are sure.

fishface
09-04-2007, 11:31 PM
i use hot water in a syringe to boil them, after the syringe is empty...just suck up the dead tissue. works very well for me.

mseepman
09-04-2007, 11:55 PM
You always get a Copper Banded Butterfly fish. They regularly eat Aiptasia.

CLINT
09-05-2007, 12:09 AM
another option is a berghia nudi.I've never had any problem with aptasia but if I did I think this would be my choice.They are apparently aptasia eating machines and all the people that I've heard of using them say there great.might be worth looking into.Clint

Aquattro
09-05-2007, 12:40 AM
peppermint shrimp always did it for me too

mark
09-05-2007, 01:49 AM
If you would have asked me last November I would have given a 100% yes for peppermints as between kalk and them I went to zero aptasia and stayed that way until recently.

Now have noticed in about the last month a few small aptasia have come back but peppermint isn't interested. Have though gone from two to just one (second shrimp has been MIA since about March).

b_james
09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I managed to 'suck' up a bunch last night during my water change. I replaced the vacuum end of the python with the end of a baister to creat a hi velocity vacuum. It worked pretty good, however only on the larger ones. I found that in order to suck them from the rock, you had to hold the vacuum over them of about 10 seconds or at least until they let go.

I also purchased a half dozen peppermint shrimp to eat the rest... I hope.:sad:

bubblepuffer
09-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I got copper banded butterfly.. it take a while for the fish to get used the tank..but within 2 months.. around 20 aiptasia..small or big.. all gone.. ahaha even my Hawaiian tube warm is good as that fish start sucking on the tube worm after all aiptasia gone