PDA

View Full Version : RO or DI or Both

super7
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I live in North Delta and was wondering if using DI water is good enough or should I go all out and get a RO/DI unit. It will be used for a series of reef tanks. Right now only one is up and running.
Thanks Super7

Skimmerking
09-05-2007, 02:35 AM
I live in North Delta and was wondering if using DI water is good enough or should I go all out and get a RO/DI unit. It will be used for a series of reef tanks. Right now only one is up and running.
Thanks Super7

Well if you are using just DI you are going to exhaust alot of DI that way. with using RO/DI the membrane will take alot of the minerals out leaving the DI to polish the water.

fkshiu
09-05-2007, 04:38 AM
DI only is fine for a smaller tank (i.e. <50 gallons or so) in the GVRD because our TDS is so freaking low (~10!).

Larger tanks tend to require more water than DI-only units like the AP Tapwater Filter can easily produce. I used an AP Tapwater Filter for several years on my 46-gallon.

However, if you plan on sticking to this hobby in the long run an investment in a full RO/DI unit is a good idea.

super7
09-05-2007, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the info, wondering what you would suggest for a RO/DI unit

fkshiu
09-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Many people around here (including me) use the Aquasafe RO/DI unit. They're a local outfit operating out of North Van, but only sell through Ebay. Every so often there's a group buy here on Canreef. It's not "the best" system out there by any means but it's solid, economical and does the job on our super-soft water. Plus, you can get a faucet attachment for drinking water as well, which was what sold the wife on it :)

Puff
09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
does aquasafe have a website?

i live like 10 minutes from north van and dont see the point in buying something on ebay that is manufactured down the street :(

any other decent, and decently priced, RO/DI units ppl can recommend?