PDA

View Full Version : Starboard question..

jasond
09-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Quick question. If I were to go BB/starboard on my new tank (60G), is it possible to, or do people get it cut, and silicone it to the bottom (just around the edges to keep the crap out?). I would think if you didnt there would be a mess at the edges/underneath?

I think I will go BB, just trying to see what will work best, or maybe even just make sure rocks are secure, and put them right on the glass.

Thanks guys,

Jason

spoot
09-04-2007, 04:31 AM
The silicone will not bond to the starboard, so it may leak and trap water there. You could try using pvc pipes as legs for your rockwork. I've seen this on RC somewhere before.

Delphinus
09-04-2007, 04:36 AM
I thought about going with starboard for my 280g that I'm about to put together, but, decided against it for the mere reason I'm not entirely certain what deleterious effects there could be with water going stagnant in the gaps between the edges and anything underneath. Maybe it's insignificant, I don't know. I decided just to go with a white styrofoam pad under the tank and leave it at that. Just my $0.02, I realize this isn't so much an answer to your question as it is an unsolicited piece of advice from the peanut gallery, and man do I hate it when my parents or inlaws do that to me, so .. um .. my bad. ;)

jasond
09-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Haha, thanks Tony. Just looking for some thoughts so thats great. Now that I know the reason you cant silicone the starboard (thanks spoot), I do not think I will use the starboard at all. I will probably either paint the bottom, or like you said, white s/foam. Thanks for the replies...

Doug
09-04-2007, 09:11 PM
The glass ends up looking like this anyways.

DanG
09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm seriously looking at going BB on the 90 I'm going to get and I plan on getting it just marginally smaller than the inside diameter of the tank so the starboard sits directly on the glass and not the silicone around the edges.

jasond
09-07-2007, 03:55 AM
I just seen in Tank of The Month, Doug has some Live rock rubble on the bottom of his. Perhaps having some of that down would keep it looking so bare at the beginning, but still easy to clean around??

littlesilvermax
09-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Zoo covered bottom FTW!

My next tank will have a normal glass bottom, then I will silicone starboard in and I will silicone it in well. Right now I have a starboard bottom, but have a gap around the edges, stuff collects in there. Also, when snails get the exact right size (which happens to all of them) they will get stuck in the edge.

Starboard does not stick to silicone, but if the whole thing is silliconed in well, as if it actually were the bottom of the tank, you will not regret it.

FWIW the small bit of water trapped under there will never harm anything.

Doug
09-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I would have used starboard in mine, if I could purchase it locally. Seems whenever I,m in Winnipeg I dont have time to get some and then its inconvenient when back home setting up a tank.

My rubble is easily siphon cleaned, although it does trap detritus. I just lifted my rock to an eggcrate platform, supported by 4in. pvc pipe. The pipe is horizontal though, creating homes for the fish. Not a look everyone would like but once grown over with corals, will be fine.

As the eggcrate extends more to the front than is covered by rock, I covered it with the rubble. Solved two problems, the look and collecting detritus. So my bottom is now clear for the pumps to keep the detritus suspended or pooled for easy cleaning and its sort of protected with the rock on the eggcrate.

jasond
09-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Just wondering if it would still be possible to keep a mandarin in a BB? Can you still keep a good population of pods??

Delphinus
09-12-2007, 05:51 AM
To me, keeping a mandarin is more dependent on size of system (or amount of live rock, depending on how you look at it, but these two variables are roughly linearly related), and whether the fish adapts to being fed, and how much competition there is.

The population of pods surely is larger with a sandy or rubble substrate but I think relying on the tank to self-sufficiently feed the mandarin is likely doomed, since pod populations tend to come and go anyhow.

One trick you can try, get some coral rubble pieces and pile them up. This technique is called "pod piles" (if you want to do a search), but the basic idea is that it gives the pods a spot to hang out and theoretically escape predation therefore increasing their numbers. A sort of in-tank refugium, so to speak.

Doug
09-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Just wondering if it would still be possible to keep a mandarin in a BB? Can you still keep a good population of pods??

Mine was near 4 yrs. old when I switched to a barebottom. Despite him eating mysis & bloodworms, he did start loosing weight. Had to move him to a friends pod loaded tank to fatten up.

I agree with Tony. If one has a large amount of rock, which seems not to go with the barebottom idea and things like rubble piles or something, which also collect detritus, then the pods would have someplace to hide. Or a large enough tank.

jasond
09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Interesting, thanks guys. I would really like to have a mandarin, but I obviously need to make sure I am able to keep enough pods to keep one healthy. I have read various ways, so once I am up and running, I will give it a shot.

Thanks again!