PDA

View Full Version : skimmer going nuts

fishguyxd
09-04-2007, 02:58 AM
I added some new filter floss to my sump area and next thing my sump is filling the cup up to no end fast. At first there was alot of foam but then it started just filling with more water and little skimate. I have not had to really putter around with the skimmer since i bought 9 months ago It worked fine it's an ASM G-2.Is this just a reation to the new floss?
What are my next steps here other than raising the standpipe?

fkshiu
09-04-2007, 03:14 AM
There are some oils in the floss which is affecting the skimmer. The same thing happens when you feed an oily food like frozen mysis. Either remove the floss and rinse it and/or wait until all the oils are worked out of the water. This will usually take anywhere from a few hours to a day depending on the amount of oils. Turn off your skimmer in the meanwhile.

surgeonfish
09-04-2007, 04:32 AM
What brand of filter floss did you buy? I have used different brands and never had a similar problem.

fishguyxd
09-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Well I rinsed the floss and adjusted the standpipe abit ,it's still foaming but not as crazy now and a more approprate level it 's at. thanks though to others for comments.part of the problem i think was the stand pipe ht.