PDA

View Full Version : coral growth

fishguyxd
09-04-2007, 02:51 AM
I have always wondered why when I look at other tanks and hear everyone's corals are growing like mad you know can keep up with them (xenia or others) even after 6 months they say it just started out as a frag and now it's the size of a grapefruit or bigger So what is my problem I try to keep my water within the scope ph 8.2 ,salitity 1.023 or a bit higher Calcium say 400ish and low nitrates etc. Alk or dkh is the one i have not followed closely.
heck my zoo's take forever to sprout newheads and no I do not have my fish nipping alot. I have had the lights on alot example 12hrs on ( pc light currently). I have had some growth on corals but nothing close to others.
Should I be adding something??
So can anyone throw some idea out???

fortheloveofcrabs
09-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Lights. That's my guess. Things grow like snot in my nano (MH) but almost don't grow at all in my 55 with PC lighting.

The difference is really quite something.

Thats' my 2 cents.

MoeReefer
09-04-2007, 06:22 PM
lighting man. gotta have light, and lots of it. metal halides work wonders.

dockrat
09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
I second the light being your main problem... Just a little tip to get zoos to grow a little faster its IMO that zoos prefer a little dirtyer water than most coarls... I now only do water changes every second week and the zoos seem to be growing leaps and bounds now .... there are a few threads about zoo growth on RC

michika
09-04-2007, 09:05 PM
I would guess lighting, possibly a new bulb, and flow.

How about a full tank shot?

Have you tried taking photos of your growth, say one ever 3 weeks? Sometimes you don't see th growth because its happening right in front of your face.

What kind of corals? Just softies like you've mentioned?