PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing a leak test and have a quick Q

spencerC
09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Okay so i'm doing a leak test on my 75 gal with sump & protein skimmer
(check my photo gallery and it may help with understanding my system, i'm not very good at explaining)

I'm assuming I'll want to have the plumbing maybe half open (or letting all flow through?)
fill up the tank til it hits the overflows,
then fill it up til the sump is full at it's proper level,
then run the return pump?
Can anyone give me advice as to what steps i should take?
Should i run the protein skimmer too?

Thanks!

spencerC
09-03-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0881.JPG

This is my sump/protein skimmer set up, fyi:smile:

Jason McK
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
It does not appear the skimmer exit is plumbed to anything?

The operating level of a sump would be at a level that when the power is turned of the sump does not over flow.
You should make sure all your overflow pipes have small syphon breaks just below the water level

J

Aquattro
09-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Yes, run it with the skimmer going. You'll want to fill it to the point where you can turn on all the pumps, then continue filling until the sump is at your operational level. Once here, turn off th epower and make sure there is enough room in the sump for the water that will drain back from plumbing and that above the overflow line. Be ready to hit the power if the sump is going to overflow.

Aquattro
09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
It does not appear the skimmer exit is plumbed to anything?

Looks plumbed to the carpet to me :)

Redrover
09-04-2007, 03:43 AM
I see that it's plumbed to the skimmer...no return that I can see:question:
What type of skimmer...looks like a H/S..If it was mine I'd have it in the sump, I don't think you have the room

Redrover
09-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I was at Hidden Reef today and talking to Marc in regards to your problem.
He has sent you a PM to get in touch with him before you go any farther as you may have water everywhere. I would also have as a sugestion have someone do your plumbing,this will give you piece of mind that things are done right.:rainbow1: