PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Glass Calgary

Coderad
09-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Anyone have a diamond bit to drill two 1" bulk heads I think the bit must be
1 3/4", Will pay for the holes or rental. Or know of a place in Calgary that does it for a decent price. Glass is 1/4"

Thanks Cody

fencer
09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Princess Automotive...they sell diamond hole saws

Delphinus
09-04-2007, 03:56 AM
I've got that size drill bit if you want to borrow mine (plus the cutting oil and the little rubber thingy that holds the cutting oil in place). PM me if you'd like to borrow it.. :)

Pan
09-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Princess Automotive...they sell diamond hole saws
Happen to know the price for a lazy person? :)

Delphinus
09-04-2007, 03:59 PM
To be honest, I didn't think Princess Auto sold the diamond tipped hole saws that you need for bulkheads. I could be wrong though. But it used to be the case that they only sold the smaller drill bits and the like, things like what you could use on a Dremel and so on and there were lots of people who would use them to gouge out a hole for a bulkhead, and that's fine on 1/4" glass. I don't think I'd bother trying it on 1/2" glass, I can think of better ways to spend 8 hours :)

But, like I said it's been a few years since I looked for diamond tipped tools at P.A. so they might have them now.

Used to be the case that a decent diamond tipped hole cutter would set you back $80-120 per cutter. Nowadays you can get them for about $15-20 from ebay. These won't have the longevity that the more expensive ones have, but ... for $20, just buy another when you need to.

Last time I looked at mops.ca (mail order pet supply website out of Ottawa), they too had the cheaper hole saws (in the $20ish range) so you can order some from them too, if ebay isn't your thing.

You still need cutting oil and some means to hold the oil over the hole as you drill, but, I imagine these are not too hard to come by.

Pan
09-04-2007, 06:15 PM
To be honest, I didn't think Princess Auto sold the diamond tipped hole saws that you need for bulkheads. I could be wrong though. But it used to be the case that they only sold the smaller drill bits and the like, things like what you could use on a Dremel and so on and there were lots of people who would use them to gouge out a hole for a bulkhead, and that's fine on 1/4" glass. I don't think I'd bother trying it on 1/2" glass, I can think of better ways to spend 8 hours :)

But, like I said it's been a few years since I looked for diamond tipped tools at P.A. so they might have them now.

Used to be the case that a decent diamond tipped hole cutter would set you back $80-120 per cutter. Nowadays you can get them for about $15-20 from ebay. These won't have the longevity that the more expensive ones have, but ... for $20, just buy another when you need to.

Last time I looked at mops.ca (mail order pet supply website out of Ottawa), they too had the cheaper hole saws (in the $20ish range) so you can order some from them too, if ebay isn't your thing.

You still need cutting oil and some means to hold the oil over the hole as you drill, but, I imagine these are not too hard to come by.
Yeah you convinced me to, well look elsewhere :)

Delphinus
09-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Not to try to dissuade anyone from going to Princess Auto though! There's not been a single time I've been to that store where I didn't walk out with something that I hitherto-had-not-known-about-but-now-can't-live-without. That store is full of stuff like that. :)

fencer
09-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Ditto,
I haven't been there in a while. I decided to go today just to see if they had glass/tile hole saws. He said yes and no. In other words sometimes they carry them. BTW I did walk out with something I really didn't want.