PDA

View Full Version : HELP PUMP DIED ON ME

GinKu
01-06-2003, 10:15 AM
i don't know what happen but it just died on me,
i had a LifeGard pump and i don't know what went wrong!!!
i'd open it to see if anything was stuck in there but nothing was there i'd tried to fire it up and it didn't start....any clue of what could of cause this?

Dez
01-06-2003, 02:48 PM
This seems to be common with the Quiet one pumps... They shut off after they get too hot. Let it sit for a day and try it again. I run mine with a fan..

Yours isn't that old either... Ask Alan if he still has the receipt and see if you can warranty it..

Des

AJ_77
01-06-2003, 03:03 PM
I'll look for that for sure - that pump was new last spring. I might have the receipt from Big Al's. Has it re-started yet? I heard of the ceramic bearing heating up as well, but not failing completely.

There was a comment in the Equipment Reviews forum by clintyiu about them maybe having problems after two years, but a couple of owners I found on the net had them much longer than that.

Alan

pierremtl
01-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Many external pump need oil, because the shaft is rotating againt some other part...maybe you can check the instruction...if it require oil...

My LittleGiant pumps get very hot and a bit noisy after few months...every year i open the pump for cleaning and check for the "liege" (at each end of the shaft) who keept the oil...

Just an idea...

Pierre

GinKu
01-07-2003, 02:29 AM
it doesn't look like it's work at all....
i'd look under the pump and it looks like there is a crack,looks like it was gonna explode or something cuz it looks like a 2 liter bottle that has been shake vigerously! aww

AJ_77
01-07-2003, 03:58 AM
I cannot find the bill for that pump - have you looked in the box? I sometimes stash receipts in the packaging...

Alan

GinKu
01-08-2003, 12:19 AM
ya i couldn't find it either....well i won't be able to get anoter pump for awhile now...so i'll have to run my skimmer in the main tank for awhile :(
and plus i'm getting bad cyano out break i'll just wait it out to die off do my water change and stuff so it should be alright i guess :)
but dam that sucks that it broke!
my tank looks really ugly

AJ_77
01-08-2003, 01:04 AM
There's no warranty card in the box?? Call the Big Al's up there and tell them what you have, and you want help getting the warranty honoured. Then tell them you want a loaner. :wink:

At the least they will have some information how to follow this up and get it repaired or replaced.

Alan

GinKu
01-09-2003, 04:04 AM
i will call them up but would i have to call to big al's in calgary?
or edmonton?
what should i do?
i don't know i'm jobless right now and won't be able to get another for awhile now:(

alan i should still have warrenty for the pump tho right?

AJ_77
01-09-2003, 04:11 AM
Think you should call the Big Al's in Edmonton and tell them you lost the receipt, and how can they help you out now, given the age of the pump (less than 9 months). Be persistent, make them do something for you, being a good customer and all. :wink:

Or, get some further advice from Desmond at Aquarium Illusions up there - he's a genius! :D What I mean is, he likely will have some advice how to handle a warranty issue.

Just don't let them brush you off.

Alan

GinKu
01-09-2003, 04:20 AM
hum i think i would have to tell them i bought it in calgary cuz big al just opened recently in edmonton

Canadian Man
01-09-2003, 04:48 AM
One suggestion for you guys, considering I deal with this crap daily.
When you go into Edmonton's BigAl's you may want to tell them your name is Alan's because Bigals in Calgary has all the purchases on computer so when you tell them you purchased the pump in Calgary about 9 months ago, they will most likley call the Calgary BigAl's to confirm and If the info is correct they you should get a new pump on the spot as it's an important part of your system. If they call and the info is not correct you are SOL. The other benifit to this is if they can see that the pump was purchased 9 months ago, and your name happens to be Alan, then you have it good. Most Large manufactures are now asking for the origional reciept to be sent back with the defective products. The store/shop's word is no longer good enough.....because of situations like this that I am helping you with.

Disclaimer; In no way am I promoting lying or giving out info on how to cheet the system. I am just giving you hints on Hypathetical situations that may have or do happen to me every day. :D :wink:

Gazza
01-09-2003, 08:04 AM
It might be worth calling Rainbow Plastics direct. Tell them the problem and see if they will authorize a replacement at the store of your choice. It will not be the first pump they've seen with an exploded from the inside look to it. I've had a couple that looked like a can of beer that was left in the freezer. They are a great pump, buy have also had some problems like this. However, they have replaced pumps for me in the past, so I would not hesitate in buying them again. good luck....
Gazza

GinKu
01-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Gazza

the problem is that i bought it from alan the warranty only works from the original purchaser
so if big al doesn't accept it here in edmonton i think i would have to send it to calgary but i really need a pump as of now my tank is ugly[/quote]