PDA

View Full Version : Another Birth!

canadawest
01-22-2002, 10:16 PM
Hey the reproduction just doesn't stop at my place. (Lets hope it stays in the tank for now!) images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

My Bubble Tip Anemone split last night. While the parent looks a little worn out, the spawned (or split) Anemone looks pretty good. Hopefully both will make a full recovery from the birth in a couple days and I'll have another tank raised tan-coloured BTA to go to a nice new home.

Email me if you are interested in a healthy BTA? I believe Steve (Tigger) still has my previous tank raised split, so you can ask him how it's doing.

Samw
01-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Andrew. How are both of your anemones? Before they split, did they look any different? My BTA has doubled in size since I got it and now looks like it has a crease in the middle (looking like an open clam). I hope it is splitting soon. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: Sam W ]</p>

canadawest
01-24-2002, 01:56 AM
It's hard to say because the parent changes from day to day. Sometimes he was fully extended and looked like he was on steriods, other days (especially after a big feeding) he would stay closed up and limp (much to the dismay of the clownfish).

I honesly have to say I didn't notice anything different with it in the days before the split. Just happend to find two in the tank one morning.

PS.. The parent still looks a bit worse for wear, with greenish tentacles and hiding under it's rock. The offspring looks nice and swolen and a normal tan colour.

Samw
01-24-2002, 02:49 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by canadawest:
(especially after a big feeding)

PS.. The parent still looks a bit worse for wear, with greenish tentacles and hiding under it's rock. The offspring looks nice and swolen and a normal tan colour.<hr></blockquote>

Curious, do your clowns let your anemone eat? My clowns tend to steal the food.

How do you know which is the parent anemone and which is the offspring?

Doug
01-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Andrew, Do they move around a lot after splitting?

I have been thinking of getting a tank bred specimen for my tank, to see if my clown pairs would split up.

But of course, worried about all the sps corals.

canadawest
01-24-2002, 05:58 PM
Sam, my clowns actually feed my anemone. In a true symbiosis this is natural behavior for the clownfish. When I feed frozen foods, the clownfish will grab larger pieces, bring it over to the anemone and leave it in the tentacles.

Often when I feed the anemone a piece of shrimp or scallop the clownfish will grab at it, but they are only picking pieces off for themselves, they are not trying to steal it from the anemone. Besides, the anemone has a pretty good grip on the piece, I'd be surprised if ANY fish could tug it away.

Doug, I've been lucky both times during splits (and in general) with my anemones and moving. When first introduced the anemone moved around for about 3 days before finding a happy spot. It's been in that same spot ever since (7 months now). Both times after the split the parent stayed in the same location, and the new child anemone found a spot a few inches away on a different rock. No real movement, they both seem to like the back corner they are in.

Usually if your water parameters are stable and you don't make drastic changes to your lighting or water movement in the area that the anemone is in, they will usually stay put. If they are content with their environment, they have no interest in moving (in my limited experience of less that a year)