PDA

View Full Version : power distribution...

andestang
09-02-2007, 06:42 PM
So just curious how people with large systems handle all their electrical demands, such as skimmer(s), reators, heaters, lights, pumps, chillers,frag tank ...... I've been kinda leaning toward getting a seprate fuse panel made/installed. Right now to try and keep things safe and having to reset breakers I have to run off of 4 seperate plug-ins (all seperate circuit breakers) I have to keep in mind what other none reef tank related electrical loads are. I've seen a few scary set-ups with multiple plug-in adapters in one plug-in, just like christmas lights. One does'nt seem to think about this untill time to plug them all up or even after when after time things start to add up.

cav~firez22
09-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I ran a fresh line from the breaker to the tank outlet. 20Amp GFDI plug.
then plugged in is a power bar with timers, for alllights,

and the other is a powerbar for all pumps & heater

skylord
09-02-2007, 06:57 PM
We just moved into our new house and I had the builder add 2 extra 15 amp circuits and a 60 amp sub panel. Adding the extra is cheap when the electrician is wiring the house anyway.

Scott

mark
09-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Already had the breakers plus lots of room in the panel so running 2-15 GFI breaker circuits, one for upstairs (CL pump, fluorescents) and second for downstairs equipment (main pump, skimmer) logic being if a one breaker accidentally trips, I still have some water movement. Have a third cct on a regular breaker feeding first a GFI receptacle then others downstream but main load is the MHs.

Other equipment such as pumps and heater for mixing water, datalogger, CO2 solenoid etc is also tied to the above GFI ccts where convenient.

untamed
09-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Sorry...I ran 4 dedicated 15A circuits right from the main box to the tank room. At little planning on power usage helped me decide what to plug into what circuit so that if any individual circuit goes, it doesn't matter too much.

surgeonfish
09-03-2007, 03:43 AM
When we did our reno, I also ran separate lines to the tank and put in another line and breaker box in the tank room downstairs.

scsi
09-03-2007, 09:15 AM
I'v been considering this problem as well. Right now I'm using 3 different outlets, but one of them is connected to a huge power strip where I have about 8 things comming off it..... That can't be good

DJKoop
09-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I was doing renovations anyways so I had the electrician throw in 2 more 15A breakers for the tank and a ton of plugs.

andestang
09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I ran a fresh line from the breaker to the tank outlet. 20Amp GFDI plug.
then plugged in is a power bar with timers, for alllights,

and the other is a powerbar for all pumps & heater

Thats what I wanted to do but my breaker box has no spare openings left to add any new breakers. :(

Chin_Lee
09-03-2007, 04:47 PM
IF i had to do it again, I would run my circuits similar to that of my kitchen. 20 amp circuit for the top plugs and another 20 amp circuit for the bottom plugs. Just make sure you break off the brass connector between the two plugs that comes standard when you buy them otherwise you will get some sparks flying when you power them up.

fkshiu
09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Two dedicated 20A GFCI circuits + 15A GFCI circuit for the rest of the rec room (as a backup). But the most useful bits are the two Chauvet 8-outlet power panels that are plug into the circuits.

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=2&P_ID=4456&PT_ID=207

scuglass
09-04-2007, 04:40 AM
i just have a spiderweb of cords ballasts and powerbars sitting behind... you gotta be fast when spilling water on the mess.

Joe Reefer
09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I ran (2) 15A GFI breakers for my tank, its basicly a circuit for lights and one for pumps.