PDA

View Full Version : OMG this stuff is driving me crazy

findingnemo1
09-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Okay we'll after my tank of death i am still dealing with this algae:(

This all started before my problems with the fish so they are not related. I had originally thought it was dinos but i am not so sure now.
It is a brown colout and almost looks like hair algae but not green. When you look at it on the glass you can actually see it move. And when you wipe it away it just turns into a dust like substance. It is on the glass and on the rocks. My once pretty purple rocks are now brown:twised:

So here are my test results from 10 min ago.

Temp 80
Salinity:1.026
Calcium:400
Trate,trite and ammonia:0
Dkh:11
Mag 1300

On a brand new ro/di that's tds reading is 4

Here is what we have down so far:
1: Turned out the lights and blacked out the tank for 2 days( no difference as algae is still there in the dark)
2: Water changes
3: Uped my dkh to 14
Added some more cheato to the tank
Cleaned the glass to get rid of the algae and within about 12 hours it is starting to come back.

My concern is my 2 milliporas have this algae on there tips where they were growing.
These are the only 2 in the tank with this issue.

Also i have noticed my corraline has stopped growing and you think it would be a plague proportions with the mag sitting where it is with conjunction to the alk and calcium.

Any ideas?????

Pan
09-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Okay we'll after my tank of death i am still dealing with this algae:(

This all started before my problems with the fish so they are not related. I had originally thought it was dinos but i am not so sure now.
It is a brown colout and almost looks like hair algae but not green. When you look at it on the glass you can actually see it move. And when you wipe it away it just turns into a dust like substance. It is on the glass and on the rocks. My once pretty purple rocks are now brown:twised:

So here are my test results from 10 min ago.

Temp 80
Trate,trite and ammonia:0
Dkh:11
Mag 1300

On a brand new ro/di that's tds reading is 4

Here is what we have down so far:
1: Turned out the lights and blacked out the tank for 2 days( no difference as algae is still there in the dark)
2: Water changes
3: Uped my dkh to 14
Added some more cheato to the tank
Cleaned the glass to get rid of the algae and within about 12 hours it is starting to come back.

My concern is my 2 milliporas have this algae on there tips where they were growing.
These are the only 2 in the tank with this issue.

Also i have noticed my corraline has stopped growing and you think it would be a plague proportions with the mag sitting where it is with conjunction to the alk and calcium.

Any ideas?????
Whats your ph

findingnemo1
09-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Ahhh sorry missed that one

It is 8.2

scsi
09-02-2007, 06:30 AM
broun stuff coating everything......
No ideas about that yet, although, I'm sure to see it in the future.....

draco
09-02-2007, 02:10 PM
sounds like diatoms.pics would realy help

findingnemo1
09-02-2007, 02:28 PM
No this is different than diatoms. It is almost feathery in appearance. I can't get a good enough shot that outlines what it really looks like. If it is diatoms than i have never seen them look like this. And they were easier to get rid of when i cycled forever ago.

I am going to do another water change today and see what happens i guess.
Its just really ugly to look at and it just won't go away...lol

findingnemo1
09-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Okay this was an interesting finding today:(

I noticed my anemone not looking so swift hot this morning and thought maybe it was just doing it's bussiness as i feed it last night but it has only gotten a little bigger today and i decided to check everything.

Here are the measurments now..

Temp:79
Dkh:8.4
Mag:1400
Ph: 8.8:surprise: :surprise:
And this was tested twice with 2 differnt test kits

Okay so this morning is when i tested for everything but the ph
So i added the 2 part for my Calcium and Dkh and then i guess about 4 hours later tested the ph.

I don't get what is going on but should i be concerned?

But with the algae in this tank i am wondering if it is all connected.And the anemone is the only one looking alot ticked off

christyf5
09-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I know what algae you're talking about, be darned if I can find it on the net though. I had it constantly growing on the back glass and it grew longer in areas that the powerhead hit. I just constantly went in and brushed it off the glass before I'd do a water change. I would get as much of it off as I could. Eventually it would grow back in patches but less than before. Eventually I heated my tank up to about 90F and now I only have a very small patch on some rock. I don't recommend this method. I do agree that this algae really does a number on coralline algae. My coralline is just starting to come back on the glass.

Try looking at photos of Lyngbia or Hincksia. I don't think either is "quite" right but one may look close to yours. Unfortunately neither is very palatable to herbivores. :neutral: