PDA

View Full Version : carpet bagging (not related to early american politics)

Quinn
01-06-2003, 01:20 AM
i was generously invited to check out Emily's setup in calgary today, and she, her husband and Dez were able to confirm my fears regarding how having an aquarium tends to destroy carpet rather quickly. as i would perfer to have my tank in my bedroom, and the house is rather new, i'm wondering if anyone can give any tips on keeping the carpet from being destroyed, short of putting down tile instead. i think 3M makes some type of waterproofing spray, and i plan to put down a tarp when doing maintenance, does anyone have any other comments or suggestions?

StirCrazy
01-06-2003, 01:26 AM
you could buy a sheet of plywood and set that down first and then make the exposed part after you put the tank down nice with flooring or something..

Steve

EmilyB
01-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Kind of a harsh intro.........you should have gone to Jon's first... :lol:

Not everyone is plagued with floods..... :wink:

Quinn
01-06-2003, 02:34 AM
i'm thinking of a setup similar to what people put under fireplaces... small raised platform, maybe 2" up.

rossb
01-06-2003, 03:12 AM
I have had my share of floods..and I now take extra precautions to guard against them. If it was me I would carefully cut a peice of the carpet out (the size of the tank and then a bit), put down some plywood with a lip around it, and then paint the wood with a marine paint. If you keep the peice of rug and want to put it back..well you can rent a carpet seemer and if you were careful cuting it out...should be able to put it back "seamlessly". I have tried this and it is quite simple to do.

Canadian Man
01-06-2003, 05:34 AM
Kind of a harsh intro.........you should have gone to Jon's first... :lol:

Not everyone is plagued with floods..... :wink:

Thanks Deb :lol:
I just have a little throw rug infront of the aquarium and a towel ready everytime I put my hand in.
I think I would have more damage had my sump been put under the aquarium but it is in the basement. The concreat floor down there is a mess! :oops:

I suppose owning a carpet cleaner like we do and using it every 3 to 4 months helps too.

Quinn
01-06-2003, 01:49 PM
jon i've been told to come look at your setup. a basement (actually ground-floor) sump is something i might be able to do, if i get permission, and it would make water changes soooooo much easier (could run a hose straight from RO machine into the sump).

Canadian Man
01-06-2003, 06:38 PM
jon i've been told to come look at your setup. a basement (actually ground-floor) sump is something i might be able to do, if i get permission, and it would make water changes soooooo much easier (could run a hose straight from RO machine into the sump).

Well If your intrested I am off from work today and Thursday.
I live in the deep south so add about 45min of driving time to your drive.
I enjoy showing my system as I am sure many other enjoy showing theirs off as well.
let me know when a good time for you is.
cheers.