PDA

View Full Version : How to catch an Eel?

Twisted-1
08-31-2007, 05:24 AM
I have a snowflake moray that I need to get out of my tank. What are some ways to catch him without having to take out all my rocks? The Eel is about a foot long.

Salmon King
08-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Never use a net always a container on a eel;Try to coax him out with food

Pan
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I have a snowflake moray that I need to get out of my tank. What are some ways to catch him without having to take out all my rocks? The Eel is about a foot long.

Leave the top open, every eel I have had always managed to get out :(

Sushiman
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
you could try a PVC trap; construct out of 1" PVC, add an endcap, place in the display & cross your fingers.
I had several eels in my predator set-up but getting them out required a tear down. You have to remember, these guys are elusive by nature. good luck, but I think you'll need to tear down.

Big Al's BC
08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
The PVC is a good idea. We would recommend a larger diameter, maybe 2". Cap one end and cover the other end with a net when he swims in. Fill the end of the pipe with squid. It has a strong scent and few Eels will pass that up. Doing it at night with the lights off and maybe a led or room light would increase your odds as well.
Good luck,
Big Al's BC

Zoaelite
09-01-2007, 04:48 PM
The PVC is a good idea. We would recommend a larger diameter, maybe 2". Cap one end and cover the other end with a net when he swims in. Fill the end of the pipe with squid. It has a strong scent and few Eels will pass that up. Doing it at night with the lights off and maybe a led or room light would increase your odds as well.
Good luck,
Big Al's BC

Have to agree with that one. I had a 50G FOWLER that I dismanteled and I needed to catch my little snowflake. Lets just say to this day I no longer take a chissel to my liverock.
Levi

andestang
09-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Try an inverted clear juice container (the cap end larger than a 2L pop bottle) load with some bait and net the end after he goes in. Worked for me once.