PDA

View Full Version : t5 vs mh's setups

fishguyxd
08-31-2007, 12:33 AM
I recently seen a fellow reefers lighting setup and he had I think it was 8 t5's
bulbs and i was surprised of what corals he had in his tank doing very well. and how little heat there was coming off these types of lites. I was thinking of getting mh's or something like the coralife pro setup with the mh 150 or 250 watts or should I just go with a T5 setup or mh mix now. I know the saying get the best lighting a person can get when buying. Would I be limited to what corals I can have with the t5 vs mh? and the cost and maint to upkeep them. Just looking for some imput.

mr_alberta
08-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Lighting choice depends on a lot of things. Type of corals you want to keep and depth of tank are a couple of them. I like my T5's as they run cool and quiet (no ballast buzz from them), but I don't think they have as much punch as MH lights do for deeper tanks.

albert_dao
08-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Wait til after MACNA, going to be a lot of nice lighting options in Canada after then.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-31-2007, 01:38 AM
Wait til after MACNA, going to be a lot of nice lighting options in Canada after then.

Such as? Units or bulb selection? Or both?

bv_reefer
08-31-2007, 01:45 AM
i prefer metal halides because they open alot of options for corals, good penetration, and can't beat that shimmering effect :wink:

mseepman
08-31-2007, 01:47 AM
I agree that MH seems to be the right way to go. Luckily there are some options out there with a mix of MH and T5HO so you can have the best of both worlds. I would look in that direction. I think OA carries some like this that still look sharp like the Coralife.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-31-2007, 01:50 AM
I think HO T5's are good enough for just about anything, given that they're under a good reflector, etc. Haven't we all seen photos of stunning SPS-dominant tanks in Europe that use T5's exclusively? And check out this TOTM (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/totm/index.php) in March 2005 on reefkeeping.com.

Or maybe I'm just wrong :)

ron101
08-31-2007, 03:35 AM
IMO there are several factors on which to base your decision but I think the two most significant are appearance and cost.

Personally I would treat T5 HO and MH as equally efficient. So if you were thinking of 2 x 150W MH on a 4' tank then you are looking at a 6 x 54W 4' T5 setup. Despite a lack of hard data you will see people claiming that T5's are WAY more efficient than MH. I find that hard to believe considering T5 is the same fluorescent technology from T12, T8, and PC only with a better reflector. The heat difference comes about because heat is distributed along the entire length of the T5 lamps vs a much smaller volume in a MH lamp.

Pricing on a 6-lamp 4' T5 is comparable to a dual MH unit. Long term lamp replacement costs may be higher than MH if using aquarium grade lamps. On the plus side you can mix and match spectrums to get the look you want. With MH you are stuck with one bulb type.

kwirky
08-31-2007, 06:53 AM
I agree with Mr. Alberta...

One can argue the difference in output of MH vs T5, but the serious thing to consider is which will be best for your application. T5's are good for long and narrow tanks. MH's are good for lighting multiple "square like" areas.

one serious consideration is with my T5's, NOTHING could be kept in the upper 8 inches of my tank without it bleaching. I'm suspecting if I had a two bulb MH setup, I could have placed corals at the top of the tank, as long as they weren't directly under the bulb.

Comparing MH's to T5's is like comparing apples to bananas, and you really have to think over the needs of your tank before you make your decision. They're both great, they're just so different.

I liked my T5 setup, but I feel if I had a MH setup, I would have liked that too. Oh and don't stress too much on bulb choices either, because you'll get to try something else in 6-12 months anyways ;)

ron101
08-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Oh and don't stress too much on bulb choices either, because you'll get to try something else in 6-12 months anyways ;)

Fluorescent or MH?

albert_dao
08-31-2007, 07:27 AM
Either.

albert_dao
08-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Such as? Units or bulb selection? Or both?

Both.

Speaking of which, KZ bulbs arriving sometime early next week.

andresont
08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
one serious consideration is with my T5's, NOTHING could be kept in the upper 8 inches of my tank without it bleaching. I'm suspecting if I had a two bulb MH setup, I could have placed corals at the top of the tank, as long as they weren't directly under the bulb.

I second that to a degree one of my older SPS is doing very good right under T5 x 6 Tek fixture, but the other i had to move down. And i have less intense light output now because of two pink ATI color-pro German bulbs i am trying out (suppose to be a new miracle)
Shimmering is definately nice to have when you go MH, if you do go with at least 250 DE and get a good ballast like M80.

ron101
08-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Either.

I don't think that quality MH need to be changed that frequently, unnecessary expense.

fishguyxd
08-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Thank you so far for the info.

Der_Iron_Chef
08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Both.

Speaking of which, KZ bulbs arriving sometime early next week.

Lovely :)