PDA

View Full Version : diatomes and cyanobacteria

bv_reefer
08-30-2007, 01:34 AM
-ok just finished cycling my tank and my sand went from bad to worse, before it just looked dirty from the diatomes, now just recently the surface of the sand was covered in greenish slimy looking algae and bubbles, just wondering what are some things that i could do to get rid of this stuff, my flow is a little low :neutral:

scsi
08-30-2007, 07:27 AM
is it perhaps just GHA and BA?
If so, there are a number of solutions to those problems here.

Jason McK
08-30-2007, 02:17 PM
A huge algae bloom is normal after a cycle odds are you are going to have to wait it out. But you could syphon it out. But don't get discouraged if by the morning the algae is back as bad as before you syphoned.

J

bv_reefer
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
ya a couple days ago i ripped it all out and siphoned it out and its back worse than ever, i'm guessing because i just finished cycling and the nutrient levels are still a lilttle high -ammonia=undetectable ; nitrite=0.25 ppm which is still kind of high ; nitrate=undetectable, so i'm thinkin' of trying the hotwater bottle on the hair algae or dose it with some of this stuff >http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/medicine.php?product_ID=cm-sha06

Aquattro
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
ya a couple days ago i ripped it all out and siphoned it out and its back worse than ever, i'm guessing because i just finished cycling and the nutrient levels are still a lilttle high -ammonia=undetectable ; nitrite=0.25 ppm which is still kind of high ; nitrate=undetectable, so i'm thinkin' of trying the hotwater bottle on the hair algae or dose it with some of this stuff >http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/medicine.php?product_ID=cm-sha06

I'd guess if you have NO2 still, and no NO3, you aren't finished cycling.

Pier Pressure
08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
My thoughts exactly. You must still be going through the cycle. Your readings should be high in nitrate, not nitrite, after the cycle has completed.

Pier Pressure
08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Actually my last reply here is a bad one. NOTHING should be high once the cycle has completed. I know it is tough to have patience when starting a new tank!

When I bought my first reef tank I bought it complete from a fellow reefer. Just brought it home and filled it back up with the water and livestock. I got lucky and did not have to go through a cycle.

I shall spare you the horror of the story of my first 150 gallon "starter" tank of freshwater cichlids. The filter we were sold from an lfs was EXTREMELY inadequate and that just made things worse. I almost quit the hobby before it really began.

bv_reefer
08-30-2007, 08:05 PM
yup i guess i'll have to wait it out, but i always thought that with a 33-gallon that the cycle would be fairly quick, it's been 2 months but i'm sure that everything will settle down a fair bit by october, for now i'll add 10-15 hermits to constantly sift through the sand and keep it aerated and i also plan to have a 400-gph koralia in ther in another 2 weeks so that should stir things up a little, thanx again for the replys

digital-audiophile
08-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Do you have another tank with your anemone in it? or is it this tank?

Aquattro
08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
your tank should be cycled if it's been eight weeks. What is in it for animals?

bv_reefer
08-31-2007, 01:51 AM
for livestock i have 4 chromis, 1 tomato clown, 1 sailfin tang, a pulsing xenia frag thats about 2'' and a kenya tree frag thats about 3''-4'', and a 4'' condy anemone