PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing drain line

digital-audiophile
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Do I really need to put a ball valve on a drain line from a tank to the sump. Do you guys usually do it?

Aquattro
08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I never have...

mr_alberta
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
It's handy to have if you ever want to swap sumps and not have to drain your overflow.

digital-audiophile
08-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I think I went overkill on my main tank and wasted a bunch of money :( I actually have 2 1-1/2" ball valves off there (one right off the overflow, and one going into the sunp -really should have used a union on there) thats ~$60 worth of valves :O

I am now plumbing in my frag tank and I will for sure use a ball valve on the return to throttle flow if required.

I am just hoping I am not making a mistake if I don't throw one on.. but then again I can always splice into the flex pvc line and throw one on down the road if I think it is required.. maybe just a union on there eh?

Aquattro
08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I always use a valve on my return pump, that controls the amount of flow draining from the tank. If you restrict the flow out and the flow in is greater, well, you end up swimming in the livingroom. I can't see any reason to have a valve coming out unless your drain is on the bottom of the tank. Which it shouldn't be.

Aquattro
08-29-2007, 10:18 PM
It's handy to have if you ever want to swap sumps and not have to drain your overflow.

I'm assuming everyone is using a durso type stand pipe, in which case you don't need to drain anything. You turn the power off, switch pumps and turn it back on.

digital-audiophile
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
I do have the durso in the new tank I am plumbing in :) Thanks for the advice, I think I will skip the valve on the drain then, saves me $30.

Like everything in this hobby you learn from experience and I did learn that I wasted money when plumbing my display tank :p

Aquattro
08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Like everything in this hobby you learn from experience

Ya, I have boxes of experience in my garage!! :)

Chin_Lee
08-29-2007, 11:32 PM
if you use a gate valve, you can make your overflow completely silent via the Herbie method. do a search of it, its dead quiet

Aquattro
08-29-2007, 11:35 PM
if you use a gate valve, you can make your overflow completely silent via the Herbie method. do a search of it, its dead quiet

Ok, if we're doing a 16' drain, maybe a valve is good :)

digital-audiophile
08-29-2007, 11:47 PM
The frag tank and sump is in my fish room (well furnace room but fish room sounds better) :p So noise is not too much of a concern :)