PDA

View Full Version : How should i level my tank?

spencerC
08-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Okay so with the tank in it's position, it was slightly un-level, off by maybe a milimeter on the bubble-leveling device.
Should i put some foam underneath the stand on the floor?
Or should i put some between the tank and the stand?

And for putting foam underneath the glass in general, (To prevent the glass from spliting)
What kind of foam should i get?

I guess i'll be making a trip to home depot for egg crate for aquascaping, foam for security under the glass tank, and some more foam for leveling the tank.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF0879.JPG
ps. how do i get off that writing on the front of the tank?
I already made an attempt with some cleaner and a towel but it was way too hard and took too long...:cry:

Der_Iron_Chef
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Looks good!

To level the tank, you can shim (sp?) under the stand. Never do it between the tank and stand! I'm not sure on the foam--others can chime in.

For the writing...I'm assuming you've tried Windex? Strange as it sounds I always use WD-40 for things like that...works like a charm.

Phanman
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
paint thinner works well for the glass cleaning.

Delphinus
I'm not sure I would worry if it's only 1mm off from level..

But, if you do want to shim it, you can. BUT!! (But but but!!!!) :exclaim: Shim only under the stand, NEVER shim between the stand and tank. :exclaim:

For the writing, I would try Windex. Try water and razor blade maybe too if that doesn't work. It should come off somehow.

Nice looking setup btw, can't wait to see stuff in it :)

Aquattro
ya, level under stand, not tank. Under the tank, I've always used foam ridgid insulation. Writing will scrap off with a blade, don't scratch it though.

Jason McK
08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Under the tank, I've always used foam ridgid insulation.

yes me too.

digital-audiophile
08-29-2007, 10:21 PM
You could use a little black krylon fusion pain on the return lines if you want to cover the bright white fittings. :)

Doug
08-30-2007, 12:02 AM
I always use foam under my frameless tanks, where the glass is in contact with the wood. Never used any with a framed tank, as I dont see how it would help.

Was there not a warning from one of the manufacturers of framed tanks, against using foam under the glass or something ? I cant remember, as the thread was some time ago on RC. ?

I dont have any under my 90 AGA. Of course that does not make it correct . :lol: