PDA

View Full Version : upgrading to a new tank, got some questions about sump/skimmer

DanG
08-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Ok, I'm moving and hope to have everything ready to go for my new tank so I take the fish, rock and coral out of the old tank, move and everything goes into the new tank. I'm going from a 1 inch sandbed to bare bottom, so no issues with disturbing the sandbed, and I'm going to be rinsing the rock before it goes into the new tank. I will be adding some reefbones and more liverock to help fill the tank out.
I'm looking for some advice on a sump and skimmer. My LFS carries a combo sump/skimmer, and the skimmers are the same as the reef octopus ones, just built into the sump. The sump has a volume of about 40g, so that will put me at 110, which is less than the 200 that the skimmer is rated for. The sump has all the baffles, overflows and attachment points for other geat like UV and heaters.
At this point and for the forseeable future, I will not be going any larger than the 70.

Is there any real reason I should be looking at something else? I trust this guy for what he says, and I can appreciate that a skimmer rated for 200g is more like 120, but most skimmers are like that. As well, I'm using a HOB octopus skimmer now and am very pleased with how it's performing.
Is there any compelling reason to look at a seperate sump/skimmer?

Skimmerking
08-30-2007, 02:19 AM
sell ya my euro reef cs 250 converted to a RC model for 400 its external.

DanG
08-31-2007, 10:31 PM
I was actually thinking about that, but it looks like it's too tall, I've only got about 26" in the stand.