PDA

View Full Version : did the power outage affect anyone?

ldzielak
12-15-2001, 10:50 PM
Guys,

Power was on and off about 10 times last night. Then is went off at 10:00 am and back on about 3:00 pm. Didn't notice any real temp drop. I did hook up a single powerhead and an air line to the ejector. I connected this to my UPS system. But my battery only lasted 2 hours, because it was halph dead. I just hadn't got arround to hooking it up. It had a power cord rated for a 20A service, I was scared it would draw too much power for my 15A plug. I'm charging it now and will connect it up tomorrow to the tank system. I think I will install a solenoid on the air tube on the powerhead, so I don't get air in the tank, when the power is on.

titus
12-16-2001, 03:42 AM
Hello,

Well only affected Shaw's cable so I couldn't get back to some of you guys yesterday or 2 days ago. Forgot when exactly.

Another thing is I totally understand why in Canada power can go out. However, in consideration of the annual typhoons in Hong Kong, I will have to say Canada may have a lot to learn for upgrading the robustness for power distribution.

Troy F
12-16-2001, 04:14 AM
Hi guys/gals, was anyone adversely affected by the power outage? I went 18hrs without power here. Luckily, all I have is a 55gal rubbermaid with my live rock in it. The temp in it dropped to 62F and there was no circulation for the entire time of course. I'm going to budget a generator into next years finances. I've heard horror stories about prolonged power outages especially with the DSB as they really suck up the oxygen. Julian Sprung had an overnight outage that took out all his fish and some corals.

Reefmaster
12-16-2001, 04:23 AM
hey troy we were out here in vic for a good part of the night. temp only dropped in the main tank by a couple degrees. i have recently been looking for a power backup system and have considered a generator, but have decided on a power invertor from costco. i think its $130 and generates 600w from the dc system on your vehicle. it'll look a bit funny with the truck running in the driveway and a big ass extension chord heading to the fish tank, but will easily run one heater and a couple ph's. will post again after i've bought and tested it. shane

BCReefer
12-16-2001, 10:55 PM
In the new year if anyone of you have about 6,000 - 10,000 dollars you can buy a Coleman Hydrogen portable power station. It can sit right in your living room woth no toxic fumes coming out. And it is made by Ballard Power in Burnaby.

I actually work there so if I ever loose power maybe I will ask to take one home. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Patrick

ldzielak
12-16-2001, 11:22 PM
Patrick,

You must have worked on this with my buddy Chuck S. We went to BCIT together. I believe I have heard chuck mention you name...

StirCrazy
12-17-2001, 12:02 AM
Patrick, what is the power output on that?

Steve

BCReefer
12-17-2001, 06:18 PM
Sorry, busy day. The generator puts out 1.2 kW and it could run your whole tank. Of course at the moment the cost is high but in a few years we could all have one, or buy a new car in 5 years and this will be the new fuel.

Lee,

I know Chuck, I see him every few days. Does he have a tank?

Patrick

StirCrazy
12-17-2001, 08:20 PM
your whole tank? damn 1.2 KW would run a couple houses images/smiles/icon_smile.gif is there anymore we could read about this? I realize it won't be available for a while but I would like to learn more. ie how often you have to fuel it and how much it costs to fuel it, ect...

Steve

BCReefer
12-17-2001, 08:32 PM
I am trying to put together something that I am allowed to release. We are not sure about the cost of fuel since it requires Hydrogen and at the moment you can't just run down to HD and buy it.

I am witing to get a spec sheet that I could copy and past. When I spoke to one of the Managers about getting one the next time my power goes out, he seemed interested in what I was doing so hopefully I get one.

We are currently working with Coleman and we hope to have it commercially released in early 2002.

Patrick

ldzielak
12-18-2001, 02:12 AM
Patrick,

Nope Chuck doesn't have a tank. He had a small 5 gallon hex tank when we were in school with 2 neos in it, he never fed them mujch and never really changed the water. It was almost solid green, BUT the 2 fish lived for years.

I too have been asking for one of those generators for a long time, knew they were going to be way over priced, but didn't know they were to be that much.

Lee

canadawest
12-19-2001, 01:17 AM
What power outtage? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Never lost power in my neck of the woods. (knocking on wood....)

Troy F
12-19-2001, 01:43 AM
Andrew, right across from you on the north side of 108th and west of you on E. Whalley Ring Rd the power was out for as much as 17hrs. I guess I'm on the wrong side of the tracks.

canadawest
12-19-2001, 02:44 AM
Yeah the damn liquor store was closed all day! It was my birthday weekend no less!

I guess I was lucky that the tank was unaffected.

I suspect in future I'll just be bringing down the UPS from my computer to hopefully run the Mag 9.5 and the heater for as long as possible?

Anyone else give backup power much thought for their tanks?

BCReefer
01-23-2002, 01:14 PM
FYI

here is a link to the portable power generator of the future. Of course this is only the 1st generation so it will be better in a few more years.

Patrick

NEXA page (http://www.ballard.com/portable_app.asp)

Jack
01-23-2002, 06:46 PM
....I wonder if that would be allowed images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

No power outage here, whew.

StirCrazy
01-23-2002, 07:45 PM
Lifetime 1500 hours, to bad it is so expensive. if you used it full time it would only last 62 days.

Patrick, after the expected life time what needs to be done to it to be able to use it again? is it so expensive that you might as well buy another one or is it a cheep refurbish?

Steve

ldzielak
01-23-2002, 11:58 PM
Steve,

From what I know the plan was to have 3 tanks of Hydrogen the same size as small propane tanks you get for camping. These would be used up in the life time I think you speak of. Some day Coleman would sell these tanks too.

Reef_Ready
01-24-2002, 04:49 AM
BC Hydro marks their customer accounts in some cases with "life support, do not disconnect." Areas with any of these accounts get priority reconnection... no one said what "kind" of life support. lol images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

BCReefer
01-24-2002, 01:44 PM
I'm not to sure what has to be replaced after the life time. It all depends on what has deteriated. The cost will come down once the product hit the commercial street. I am using the Marine Aquarium users as market for the company to look at. It will be interesting to watch.

Patrick