PDA

View Full Version : Flame hawk

Delphinus
08-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Saw this guy hanging out in front of the camera tonight. Camera doesn't focus so well when the tank is in dusk/actinics only.. but I sort of liked the photo anyhow.
[img]http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/20070827/flamehawk.jpg

MoeReefer
08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
nice. fish are cool looking.
cheers

Der_Iron_Chef
08-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Nice fish...brilliant colour!

Delphinus
09-17-2007, 05:28 AM
Took a few more tonight.. I like these a little better:

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/20070916/flamehawk1.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/fishshots/20070916/flamehawk2.jpg

The nice thing about this fish is he obliges and sits still long enough for me to get a photo in focus. I tried taking a picture of my potter's angel tonight and I just ended up deleting about 24 pictures of an orange and blue blur. Man she is a swimmer :lol:

danny zubot
09-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Cool pictures Tony, its nice when they pose for the camera.

I've been debating one of those but I admit I don't really know much about them.

Delphinus
09-19-2007, 04:57 PM
They're a pretty docile fish for the most part. They are a predator of pods so there will be skirmishes with other fish that are well. My sixline had a problem with him and beat him up the first day, the second or third day the flame beat him up back and they've gotten along ever since. The problem there is that my sixline is a bully, not the flame hawk. The sixline was a problem to my potters angel as well until the potters fought back and won (basically he needs to have the snot kicked out of him to learn to leave a fish alone). He actually killed a mandarin. So sixlines are a potential problem, but I'd say the flame hawk is not a problem,

However, hawkfish are also reputed to be able to take down ornamental shrimp, so if you have shrimp (cleaners, peppermints, fire, etc.) that would be a consideration..

danny zubot
09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Have you ever kept a manderine and a flame hawk at the same time?

Pescador
09-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Great pics Tony, I'm still struggling with a new camera and I appreciate the great shots by members here.
My flame hawk is the biggest character in my tank, he gets chased around once in awhile by the flame angel but whenever I'm doing something near the tank he's right there watching. He's never bothered my shrimp or chased another fish.
On a side note has anyone noticed that their fish hide when there is a new face looking at the tank? When it's just me they come out begging.:biggrin:

danny zubot
09-19-2007, 07:06 PM
That depends on who's face is looking into the tank.:mrgreen:

They swim away when my two years old comes near.

Delphinus
09-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I have noticed that as well. My fish aren't scared of me but when new people are around they hide or even go into "I'm invisible" mode (that really freaks ME out, ie. when they go all white or camoflage colour).

My clownfish, however, hide at the sight of me pretty badly, and they are among the longest that I've had fish, so I don't think it's a case of "they'll get used to people eventually." They actually were more personable before I had anemones, giving them an anemone was the worst thing ever in terms of having cute little fish that I could look at. Now I have an anemone I can look at and occasionally catch a glimpse of a fish going "Holey crap he's still out there!" and darting out of view completely. :neutral: Actually, I guess they have gotten a -little- better, when they were in a big tank I never saw them and they didn't even come out for food and they were wasting away. Now that they are in a small tank with no tankmakes their sense of security has gotten so that they at least come out for food, although they dart away right away. But, at least they're eating.

As for a mandarin and flame hawk - I did have the flame hawk when I had the mandarin. I did not notice any interaction between the two. I think they are fine tankmakes in that regard.

danny zubot
09-20-2007, 04:18 AM
As for a mandarin and flame hawk - I did have the flame hawk when I had the mandarin. I did not notice any interaction between the two. I think they are fine tankmakes in that regard.

Thats what I like to hear. I'm done with six lines so I think a mandarin is in the future for the next tank, a flame hawk in the same tank would be really cool too.